Now Reading:

Russia braced for more attacks after double Volgograd bombings

world news

Russia braced for more attacks after double Volgograd bombings


Russia is on high alert. In Volgograd, there have been two suicide bomb explosions in as many days. Seventeen killed at a railway station on Sunday, and 14 dead on a bus a day later.

The Sochi Games start 700 km away in just a month’s time. The biggest Russian holiday, the Russian New Year, is just around the corner.

These explosions have been timed to make a big impression and cause maximum fear.

On Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev met in the Kremlin on Monday to discuss how best to help the injured and relatives of those killed.

Meanwhile, Vladimir Stepanov, the Russian Deputy Emergency Minister, said they’re braced for another attack:

“A state of emergency was introduced in Volgograd yesterday, so all the organisations and services are working on this. But, as I have already said, to ensure security during the holiday period, the entire emergencies ministry had been put on high alert,” said Stepanov.

While terrorists may find it difficult to target to the tightly guarded Olympic facilities, these bombings show that they can hit other cities in southern Russia with ease.

The International Olympics Committee said it was confident in Russia’s ability to protect the Games.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article