Doctors treating Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher have said he remains in a critical condition and it is too early to say if he will pull through.
They told journalists at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that the retired former world champion is being kept in an artificial coma.
“We carried out an emergency operation to drain away intra-cranial blood clots,” said neurosurgeon, Professor Stéphan Chabardès at a news conference.
“And while the post-surgery scanner showed an evacuation of the intra-cranial blood clots, it also, unfortunately, showed widespread bilateral haemorrhaegic lesions.”
The German, 44, was skiing off piste with his teenage son when he fell and hit his head on a rock on Sunday morning. It happened in the French Alps resort of Meribel where he has a holiday home.
He was wearing a helmet and doctors said anyone involved in such a high-speed accident without protection would have died.
Schumacher’s family is by his bedside.
Schumacher critical: Press conference at Grenoble hospital (recorded live feed)
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Ocean’s Eleven and Karate Kid producer Jerry Weintraub dies
Armenia police clear ‘electricity hike’ protest camp in capital
Italian police carry out anti-jihadi sweep in Pisa
Greece’s new financial minister is expected to pursue debt relief
London remembers: 10 years on after 7/7 bombings
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Senegalese risk lives in migrant exodus despite stability at home
- 07:34 CET Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
- 07:31 CET Brothers arrested over links to Islamic State bombing in Kuwait -…
- 06:50 CET At least 13 dead in gun attack in northeast Kenya – Red Cross
- 05:36 CET The world’s oldest man dies in Japan, aged 112
- 04:12 CET Islamic State target Iraq’s Haditha town with vehicle bombs
- 04:05 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare
- 04:04 CET Venezuela’s Maduro says U.S. diplomatic channel ‘working well’