Doctors treating Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher have said he remains in a critical condition and it is too early to say if he will pull through.
They told journalists at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that the retired former world champion is being kept in an artificial coma.
“We carried out an emergency operation to drain away intra-cranial blood clots,” said neurosurgeon, Professor Stéphan Chabardès at a news conference.
“And while the post-surgery scanner showed an evacuation of the intra-cranial blood clots, it also, unfortunately, showed widespread bilateral haemorrhaegic lesions.”
The German, 44, was skiing off piste with his teenage son when he fell and hit his head on a rock on Sunday morning. It happened in the French Alps resort of Meribel where he has a holiday home.
He was wearing a helmet and doctors said anyone involved in such a high-speed accident without protection would have died.
Schumacher’s family is by his bedside.
Schumacher critical: Press conference at Grenoble hospital (recorded live feed)
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 17:12 CET Fresh U.S. sanctions show Washington is deepening confrontation -…
- 17:07 CET Uganda’s former PM to run as independent candidate in presidential…
- 17:07 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 16:33 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 16:04 CET IAEA chief ‘positively’ mulling U.S. Senate invite to speak on Iran
- 15:27 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…