The seven times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher is in a critical condition after an off-piste skiing accident in the French Alps.
The 44-year-old German former racing driver, who is being treated at a hospital in the city of Grenoble, fell and hit his head on a rock.
Although he was wearing a helmet at the time and was said to be conscious after the accident, his condition quickly deteriorated.
Jean-Marc Grenier, director of Grenoble Hospital issued a short statement: “He’s suffering from a serious cranial injury and is in a coma and required immediate neurological intervention on his arrival. He remains in a critical condition.”
Schumacher was with his 14-year-old son in the French Alps resort of Meribel when he fell. He is considered an excellent skier.
Schumacher, widely regarded as the sport’s most successful driver, clocked up a record of 91 race victories and 105 podium finishes before leaving the sport last year. He won his titles with Benetton and Ferrari.
Update after Grenoble hospital's press conference
Former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher’s condition remains critical and it is not clear how it will progress, doctors treating him after a skiing injury said on Monday. They told a news conference at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that Schumacher remained in an artificial coma.
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Turkey said to offer Russia cooperation over Syria to reduce tension
- 3Taking the Arctic route: migrants cycle from Russia to Norway
- 4Former head of the UN General Assembly charged with corruption
- 5German media demands the ‘real’ numbers for the refugee influx
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5ISIL operations centre in Idlib, Syria ‘destroyed’ by Russian airstrike
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Clashes erupt between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers in Tulkarm
Albanian migrants return home after asylum applications are rejected by Germany
France launches campaign against jihadist brainwashing
French train attack hero Spencer Stone ‘repeatedly stabbed’
Kosovo opposition MP detonates ‘smoke bomb’ in parliament
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Mayor of Rome resigns over expenses scandal
- 19:45 CET Beirut protest turns violent, politicians postpone talks
- 19:42 CET Party swapping all the rage among fickle Italian parliamentarians
- 19:34 CET U.S., NATO signal willingness to slow Afghan drawdown
- 19:30 CET France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California, Air Force…
- 19:17 CET U.N. to audit its dealings with entities tied to alleged bribe…
- 19:05 CET South Sudan’s warring sides violated ceasefire over 50 times…
- 19:01 CET EU ministers agree no airport-style security on rail