The seven times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher is in a critical condition after an off-piste skiing accident in the French Alps.
The 44-year-old German former racing driver, who is being treated at a hospital in the city of Grenoble, fell and hit his head on a rock.
Although he was wearing a helmet at the time and was said to be conscious after the accident, his condition quickly deteriorated.
Jean-Marc Grenier, director of Grenoble Hospital issued a short statement: “He’s suffering from a serious cranial injury and is in a coma and required immediate neurological intervention on his arrival. He remains in a critical condition.”
Schumacher was with his 14-year-old son in the French Alps resort of Meribel when he fell. He is considered an excellent skier.
Schumacher, widely regarded as the sport’s most successful driver, clocked up a record of 91 race victories and 105 podium finishes before leaving the sport last year. He won his titles with Benetton and Ferrari.
Update after Grenoble hospital's press conference
Former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher’s condition remains critical and it is not clear how it will progress, doctors treating him after a skiing injury said on Monday. They told a news conference at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that Schumacher remained in an artificial coma.
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Crowdfunded site for Greek debt nears €1,500,000 in contributions
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 00:02 CET Egyptian army kills 35 militants in North Sinai -sources
- 23:22 CET Malaysia tells U.N. Security Council of push for MH17 tribunal
- 23:18 CET No sweat? Colombia turns to lie detectors to tackle government…
- 22:51 CET Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kill ‘many’ in Nigeria attack
- 22:28 CET Four allies quit Tsipras’ coalition over bailout referendum
- 22:01 CET U.N. says Burundi election was not free, fair or credible
- 20:31 CET Syria rejects U.N. criticism of barrel bombs, says ‘technical‘…
- 20:21 CET Pope’s South American trip – defending the poor and the planet