The seven times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher is in a critical condition after an off-piste skiing accident in the French Alps.
The 44-year-old German former racing driver, who is being treated at a hospital in the city of Grenoble, fell and hit his head on a rock.
Although he was wearing a helmet at the time and was said to be conscious after the accident, his condition quickly deteriorated.
Jean-Marc Grenier, director of Grenoble Hospital issued a short statement: “He’s suffering from a serious cranial injury and is in a coma and required immediate neurological intervention on his arrival. He remains in a critical condition.”
Schumacher was with his 14-year-old son in the French Alps resort of Meribel when he fell. He is considered an excellent skier.
Schumacher, widely regarded as the sport’s most successful driver, clocked up a record of 91 race victories and 105 podium finishes before leaving the sport last year. He won his titles with Benetton and Ferrari.
Update after Grenoble hospital's press conference
Former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher’s condition remains critical and it is not clear how it will progress, doctors treating him after a skiing injury said on Monday. They told a news conference at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that Schumacher remained in an artificial coma.
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 10:43 CET Greece will not make June IMF repayment – interior minister
- 10:24 CET One Ukrainian civilian killed, two wounded in Avdiyivka shelling -…
- 10:04 CET Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side
- 09:43 CET Shelling halts production at Avdiyivka coke plant in east Ukraine…
- 09:21 CET Mass graves of suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia
- 09:07 CET Analysis – The European centre-left’s quandary
- 08:02 CET Rohingya Muslims found on boat rescued by Myanmar navy
- 06:36 CET Nepal landslide blocks river, raises fears of flood reaching India