The seven times Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher is in a critical condition after an off-piste skiing accident in the French Alps.
The 44-year-old German former racing driver, who is being treated at a hospital in the city of Grenoble, fell and hit his head on a rock.
Although he was wearing a helmet at the time and was said to be conscious after the accident, his condition quickly deteriorated.
Jean-Marc Grenier, director of Grenoble Hospital issued a short statement: “He’s suffering from a serious cranial injury and is in a coma and required immediate neurological intervention on his arrival. He remains in a critical condition.”
Schumacher was with his 14-year-old son in the French Alps resort of Meribel when he fell. He is considered an excellent skier.
Schumacher, widely regarded as the sport’s most successful driver, clocked up a record of 91 race victories and 105 podium finishes before leaving the sport last year. He won his titles with Benetton and Ferrari.
Update after Grenoble hospital's press conference
Former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher’s condition remains critical and it is not clear how it will progress, doctors treating him after a skiing injury said on Monday. They told a news conference at a hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble that Schumacher remained in an artificial coma.
#MichaelSchumacher is "still in a critical condition" after suffering a head trauma in a ski accident: doctors at Grenoble CHU.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "So far, we cant say anything what is going to happen next": doctors at Grenoble CHU— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors want to reduce his intra-cranial pressure. Doctors confirm he had only one surgical operation.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: "Given the violence of the impact, the helmet" caught part of the shock. Without an helmet, he would be dead. (hopital)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
No second operation planned for #MichaelSchumacher after his ski accident: doctors at press conference.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher's doctors confirm he has been placed in a "therapeutic hypothermia," doesnt breath on its own.(hospital press conference)— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
#MichaelSchumacher: doctors refuse to speculate on the future or to call the situation "stable," confirm his lesions are critical.— euronews (@euronews) 30 Décembre 2013
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:53 CET United States, Egypt begin first strategic dialogue since 2009
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment