29/12/13 16:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Kyiv, about 200 cars packed with pro-EU protesters left European Square near Independence Square on Sunday morning.
They drove to Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych’s residence, furious over a decision by the government in November to turn its back on closer ties with the European Union and turn instead to former Soviet master Moscow.
They were joined by over a thousand protesters who who walked 10 kilometers from the nearest metro station.
Sunday’s protest follows a prominent activist and opposition journalist being dragged from her car and badly beaten on Wednesday.
Tetyana Chornovol is known for her investigative reporting into corruption among top government officials. She remains hospitalised.
The attack has breathed new life into more than a month of opposition protests in the capital.
As thousands protested outside the president’s residence, tens of thousands remained in Independence Square listening to the speeches of government opposition leaders.
One of the leaders, Vitaliy Klychko, renewed calls for a nationwide strike, asking supporters to skip work after Orthodox Christmas, celebrated on 7 January.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Wires > News
- 12:45 CET Austrian presidential election must be re-run, court rules
- 12:44 CET Russia stresses need for joint fight with Turkey against terrorism
- 12:42 CET Two Romanians charged in Hungary for leaving 100 migrants in…
- 12:33 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 12:31 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 12:26 CET Turkey’s parliament passes law to restructure judiciary…
- 12:22 CET Turkey says must work with Russia for political solution in Syria
- 12:19 CET Syria’s Assad: Brexit vote shows UK leaders ‘disconnected from…