Officials in Buenos Aires have declared a state of emergency during a heatwave where temperatures are averaging 36 degrees Celsius.
Power cuts and water shortages are affecting hundreds of families throughout Argentina, causing the hospitalisation of some frailer residents.
Three people have reportedly died as a result of the heatwave.
Some have been without water or power for up to fourteen days.
“Without water it’s unbearable,” one man explained. “You cannot live. Above the tenth floor, within 48 hours, it’s a death trap. If there is sun and 38 or 39 degrees – as they are saying – the firefighters are going to bring down bodies.”
Another man called on utility companies and the government to take action.
“It’s a shame, it’s the first thing that comes to mind,” he said. “It’s a shame. The truth is that you shouldn’t play with people. I’m talking about the electricity companies, politicians, everything. I’m very angry.”
People are protesting on the streets of Buenos Aires, reportedly angry that the country’s electricity grid has not been upgraded to cope with situations such as this.
Argentina’s Planning and Public Services Minister, Julio De Vido, has urged utility companies Edenor and Edesur to take “social responsibility” for restoring the power.
“With extraordinary temperatures over the past days, a heatwave beyond comparison, companies have not been up to (Argentina’s) industrial development and growth,” De Vido told reporters.
He added that the electricity companies “have to face people,” saying: “Sanctions will aggravate minute by minute if they don’t do what they have to do and that is to assume their role.”
The Argentine government has blamed Edenor and Edesur for the outages and threatened to nationalise the firms.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 3Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 4Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 5Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Wires > News
- 15:05 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 14:52 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 14:49 CET Croat parliament OKs withdrawal from Slovenia border arbitration
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 14:34 CET China says to fight terror, people smuggling with Turkey
- 14:15 CET Philippine military seeks almost triple defence spending amid…
- 14:00 CET Afghanistan investigating reports of Taliban leader’s death
- 13:55 CET Israeli drone strike in Syria kills two near frontier -…