A sense of crisis has gripped Lebanon again after a massive bomb explosion in Beirut killed senior opposition figure and former prime ministerial adviser Mohamad Chatah.
The bomb ripped through the ex-minister’s car. Five other people died in the attack near the city’s business district. Dozens were injured.
No-one has claimed responsibility for Chatah’s death, but amid the turmoil fingers were immediately pointed at neighbouring Syria and its ally Hezbollah.
Hezbollah has denounced the attack as a “repugnant attempt” to damage stability and national unity, which could only benefit Lebanon’s enemies.
Damascus has vehemently denied any involvement, accusing some in Lebanon of making wild allegations based on political hatred.
Chatah, a Sunni Muslim, was hostile both to Syrian President al-Assad’s regime and to Hezbollah.
Former prime minister Saad al-Hariri, who Chatah advised, directly accused the Shi’ite movement.
Another ex-leader added his voice: “The killer is the same, the same as the one who is thirsty for blood, both Syrian and Lebanese… in Beirut, in Tripoli, all over Lebanon…. as in Syria, from Deraa, to Aleppo, to Damascus, all over the country,” said former Lebanese premier Fouad Siniora.
The bombing comes two weeks before a trial in The Hague of Hezbollah suspects charged with assassinating former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in 2005.
Lebanon has seen a series of attacks which have been linked to heightened sectarian tensions over the Syrian war.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,800 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…