26/12/13 18:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Snow in Switzerland is nothing new – but when a metre of new snow falls in less than 12 hours, things get difficult.
The San Bernardino Pass and several railway lines were closed.
The Simplon tunnel joining Switzerland and Italy re-opened on Thursday after a 12-hour shutdown.
In the Italian Alps a young French skier was killed in an avalanche near Bardonecchia.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 4Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 5Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Wires > News
- 14:08 CET Death toll from bombings in southern Iraq rises to 32 – sources
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…
- 13:48 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source
- 11:47 CET EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks