26/12/13 14:42 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The leaders of two of South Sudan’s neighbours have arrived in the capital Juba hoping to kick start talks between the warring parties.
Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta and Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn were greeted by South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir.
He has called for an end to unrestrained killings and tribal-based atrocities that are thought to have left thousands of people dead.
As the leaders arrived, there were reports of more fighting between the army and rebels in an oil-rich region in the north.
On Tuesday the UN compound in Bor, where South Korean peacekeepers are based, was hit by mortar cannon, fired during a fierce exchange between government forces and rebels a few kilometres away.
Four Nepalese troops stationed at a post protecting the base were reportedly injured.
The area around Bor is said to have become safer since government troops retook the town from rebels on Tuesday.
International efforts have multiplied to try to stop the fighting. The EU is sending an envoy; China has said it will too. The UN is doubling the size of its peacekeeping force.
Tens of thousands of civilians have sought refuge in UN compounds. Many say they have been targeted based on their ethnicity.
Political disputes have fuelled ethnic tensions, leading to warnings of civil war in the world’s youngest state.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 01:21 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 00:40 CET Putin reshuffles Russia’s law enforcement structures
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…