One of Christendom’s most sacred days… in the main cathedral of Cologne, Germany: the High Cathedral of St. Peter. The setting is Gothic, dating from the 13th century. What can possibly go wrong?
Christmas mass is being aired live. Thousands of pious Catholics fill the pews. Then, shouting at the top of her lungs, naked from the waist up, 20-year-old philosophy student Josephine Witt shoots from the congregation and bounces up high onto the altar!
She is an activist with the feminist movement FEMEN.
In a flash, from every point of the compass, robed and suited men in black and red and white flock to her towering bare legs, their pawing movements easily seen in various video testimonies, imploring her to come down.
Daubed in dark paint on her breasts and abdomen are the words ‘I AM GOD!’
Within seconds, she is dislodged from the focal point of the candle-rich, incense-laden massive celebration. Yet she alights at the foot of the altar genuflecting only briefly, before springing completely upright again in an instant, her arms still raised as if spelling the letter ‘y’, and still shouting.
Numerous effigies of Christ adorn the great church, the figures traditionally portrayed much like Josephine, with only the loins covered.
A man with a full head of grey hair takes off his own jacket to cover her. She is dragged away by perhaps half a dozen of the horrified clerics.
The FEMEN press service reported on Wednesday: “The activist climbed the altar to protest Vatican propaganda for the criminalisation of abortion.”
On the organisation’s website, a text reads: “FEMEN is breaking the strategies of patriarchy in ownership of women’s bodies… [patriarchy] that is protected and hidden by religions. No cross [or] text can tell women how to sacrifice their freedom. We will not let any white-dressed freak put [his] nose in women’s vagina[s].”
FEMEN states its ideology is built around ‘sextremism, atheism and feminism.’
The movement “demands that the old people in the Vatican and their fanatical adepts bring their religious dogmas into compliance with the modern world and human rights.”
To see photos and videos of the FEMEN activist here is the link:
To explore further subject matter which some may consider supports FEMEN’s claim to biological godhood, consult this link as well (item number six):
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report
- 01:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 23:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 23:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 22:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 21:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones
- 20:03 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Tikrit, other Iraqi cities
- 19:43 CET Thousands march through Rome against Renzi’s labour reform