One of Christendom’s most sacred days… in the main cathedral of Cologne, Germany: the High Cathedral of St. Peter. The setting is Gothic, dating from the 13th century. What can possibly go wrong?
Christmas mass is being aired live. Thousands of pious Catholics fill the pews. Then, shouting at the top of her lungs, naked from the waist up, 20-year-old philosophy student Josephine Witt shoots from the congregation and bounces up high onto the altar!
She is an activist with the feminist movement FEMEN.
In a flash, from every point of the compass, robed and suited men in black and red and white flock to her towering bare legs, their pawing movements easily seen in various video testimonies, imploring her to come down.
Daubed in dark paint on her breasts and abdomen are the words ‘I AM GOD!’
Within seconds, she is dislodged from the focal point of the candle-rich, incense-laden massive celebration. Yet she alights at the foot of the altar genuflecting only briefly, before springing completely upright again in an instant, her arms still raised as if spelling the letter ‘y’, and still shouting.
Numerous effigies of Christ adorn the great church, the figures traditionally portrayed much like Josephine, with only the loins covered.
A man with a full head of grey hair takes off his own jacket to cover her. She is dragged away by perhaps half a dozen of the horrified clerics.
The FEMEN press service reported on Wednesday: “The activist climbed the altar to protest Vatican propaganda for the criminalisation of abortion.”
On the organisation’s website, a text reads: “FEMEN is breaking the strategies of patriarchy in ownership of women’s bodies… [patriarchy] that is protected and hidden by religions. No cross [or] text can tell women how to sacrifice their freedom. We will not let any white-dressed freak put [his] nose in women’s vagina[s].”
FEMEN states its ideology is built around ‘sextremism, atheism and feminism.’
The movement “demands that the old people in the Vatican and their fanatical adepts bring their religious dogmas into compliance with the modern world and human rights.”
To see photos and videos of the FEMEN activist here is the link:
To explore further subject matter which some may consider supports FEMEN’s claim to biological godhood, consult this link as well (item number six):
- 1Greeks set to vote in knife-edge referendum
- 2Tunisia: State of emergency declared after Islamist terror attack on tourists
- 3Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 4The Corinth Canal: a metaphor for the feeling of division in Greece?
- 5Syria: Fierce fighting as Assad army and rebels push to make key gains
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 01:50 CET America celebrates July 4 with hot dogs, banners and barbecues
- 01:32 CET China lobbies hard ahead of Manila’s South China Sea arbitration…
- 01:27 CET Small is beautiful, say South Koreans making plans to marry
- 01:06 CET Pope heads to South America to champion the poor and the planet
- 23:03 CET Hillary Clinton accuses China of hacking U.S. computers
- 21:49 CET Suspected Congo Ebola victims test negative for the virus
- 21:21 CET Ecuador’s Correa laments protests ahead of Pope’s visit
- 21:06 CET Hillary Clinton – no substitute for ‘constant engagement’ with…