One of Christendom’s most sacred days… in the main cathedral of Cologne, Germany: the High Cathedral of St. Peter. The setting is Gothic, dating from the 13th century. What can possibly go wrong?
Christmas mass is being aired live. Thousands of pious Catholics fill the pews. Then, shouting at the top of her lungs, naked from the waist up, 20-year-old philosophy student Josephine Witt shoots from the congregation and bounces up high onto the altar!
She is an activist with the feminist movement FEMEN.
In a flash, from every point of the compass, robed and suited men in black and red and white flock to her towering bare legs, their pawing movements easily seen in various video testimonies, imploring her to come down.
Daubed in dark paint on her breasts and abdomen are the words ‘I AM GOD!’
Within seconds, she is dislodged from the focal point of the candle-rich, incense-laden massive celebration. Yet she alights at the foot of the altar genuflecting only briefly, before springing completely upright again in an instant, her arms still raised as if spelling the letter ‘y’, and still shouting.
Numerous effigies of Christ adorn the great church, the figures traditionally portrayed much like Josephine, with only the loins covered.
A man with a full head of grey hair takes off his own jacket to cover her. She is dragged away by perhaps half a dozen of the horrified clerics.
The FEMEN press service reported on Wednesday: “The activist climbed the altar to protest Vatican propaganda for the criminalisation of abortion.”
On the organisation’s website, a text reads: “FEMEN is breaking the strategies of patriarchy in ownership of women’s bodies… [patriarchy] that is protected and hidden by religions. No cross [or] text can tell women how to sacrifice their freedom. We will not let any white-dressed freak put [his] nose in women’s vagina[s].”
FEMEN states its ideology is built around ‘sextremism, atheism and feminism.’
The movement “demands that the old people in the Vatican and their fanatical adepts bring their religious dogmas into compliance with the modern world and human rights.”
To see photos and videos of the FEMEN activist here is the link:
To explore further subject matter which some may consider supports FEMEN’s claim to biological godhood, consult this link as well (item number six):
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 5‘I’m going to carry on’: Madonna fall closes Brits with a bang
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 3Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 4New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 5Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 22:54 CET Saudi ambassador moves to Aden from Houthi-controlled capital -…
- 22:53 CET Bomb attacks kill at least 23 in north, central Nigeria
- 22:35 CET Greek protesters clash with police in first backlash against Syriza
- 22:17 CET Russia’s Khodorkovsky: Putin is a ‘naked king’ facing economic ruin
- 21:43 CET ‘Jihadi John’ from Islamic State beheading videos unmasked as…
- 20:00 CET EU-Russia-Ukraine gas talks to be held on Monday – EU
- 18:30 CET Sudan’s Bashir says will quit in 2020 if re-elected president
- 18:08 CET Le Pen woos French farm vote as malaise deepens