A French company has implanted its first artificial heart, which can beat for up to five years.
Carmat says the operation went smoothly and that the patient was awake and talking.
Previous attempts to create a full, artificial heart have run into problems during human testing.
The implant operation was performed on Wednesday at the Georges Pompidou European Hospital in Paris, according to the company.
In a statement, it added that the patient was being monitored in the intensive care unit.
- 1At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 2Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGO’s
- 3Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 4Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 5Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 10:25 CET China lodges complaint with U.S. over spy plane flight
- 10:16 CET Only Iran is confronting Islamic State, paramilitary chief says
- 10:01 CET Sydney siege gunman too ‘weird’ for Australian motorcycle gang…
- 09:51 CET Syrian air force targets captured Palmyra city – monitor
- 09:48 CET Bangladesh arrests two suspected Islamic State activists
- 09:07 CET Analysis – Portugal, like Europe, loses hunger for reform
- 08:11 CET Eastern Japan shaken by 5.6 magnitude quake, no tsunami warning
- 05:32 CET Indonesia’s military creeps back into civilian affairs