The Ukrainian parliament has backed an amnesty for protesters arrested during the country’s recent demonstrations.
Passing with overwhelming support, the bill was voted through by government and opposition MP’s.
Those leading protest both in and outside parliament have viewed the result as a triumph.
Oleh Tyahnybok, leader of opposition Svoboda party: “This law needs to be signed by the president and to be ratified to come into force and that will mean that a key demand of Maidan (protesters in Independence Square), which is to stop political repression, will be fulfilled.”
Despite the victory protesters are showing no sign of backing down just yet.
Their main gripe persists, an apparent government lurch away from the EU towards Russian aide, only forced by a recent loan deal with Moscow.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader