Turkish and Olympic 1,500 metre champion,
Asli Cakir Alptekin, has been cleared of doping violations by her country’s Athletics Federation.
However, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has reportedly not yet received the full judgement on Cakir in English. The body will apparently review the decision to see if it should be appealed in the Court of Arbitration.
“We will review the decision upon receipt and decide whether or not it should be appealed to CAS (the Court of Arbitration
for Sport) as per IAAF rules,” spokesman Chris Turner said in an email to Reuters.
Cakir missed the world championships in Moscow in May after being provisionally banned because abnormalities were detected in her biological passport.
Biological passports work by creating individual blood profiles for each athlete, rather than testing for specific performance-enhancing drugs.
If the results of the blood test deviate significantly from previous measures, an athlete can face a doping charge.
The athlete had already served a two-year suspension at junior level following a
positive dope test in 2004.
A second conviction could, therefore, result in Cakir receiving a lifetime ban from the sport.
Over 30 athletes have been suspended by the Turkish federation for doping in 2013.
Among these is double European 100 metres hurdles champion Nevin Yanit.
The scandal is thought to have affected Istanbul’s chances of hosting the 2020 Olympic Games. Tokyo won the vote in September.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 06:27 CET With British Open in the bag, Park looks for new goals
- 06:23 CET Blatter gives up IOC membership as FIFA exit nears
- 06:08 CET Calls grow for global athletics probe after widespread doping…
- 04:07 CET Ominous pre-season a worry for USG’s title rivals
- 02:43 CET Horse racing-American Pharoah wins again, takes the Haskell
- 02:01 CET Isner beats ailing Baghdatis to win Atlanta title again
- 22:40 CET Drucker sprints to RideLondon-Surrey classic win
- 21:55 CET China’s Qiu equals Louganis record