20/12/13 07:39 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Turkish and Olympic 1,500 metre champion,
Asli Cakir Alptekin, has been cleared of doping violations by her country’s Athletics Federation.
However, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has reportedly not yet received the full judgement on Cakir in English. The body will apparently review the decision to see if it should be appealed in the Court of Arbitration.
“We will review the decision upon receipt and decide whether or not it should be appealed to CAS (the Court of Arbitration
for Sport) as per IAAF rules,” spokesman Chris Turner said in an email to Reuters.
Cakir missed the world championships in Moscow in May after being provisionally banned because abnormalities were detected in her biological passport.
Biological passports work by creating individual blood profiles for each athlete, rather than testing for specific performance-enhancing drugs.
If the results of the blood test deviate significantly from previous measures, an athlete can face a doping charge.
The athlete had already served a two-year suspension at junior level following a
positive dope test in 2004.
A second conviction could, therefore, result in Cakir receiving a lifetime ban from the sport.
Over 30 athletes have been suspended by the Turkish federation for doping in 2013.
Among these is double European 100 metres hurdles champion Nevin Yanit.
The scandal is thought to have affected Istanbul’s chances of hosting the 2020 Olympic Games. Tokyo won the vote in September.
- 1Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
- 2Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
- 3Black day for judo’s brightest stars in Guadalajara
- 4Korean Kim fences to saber gold in Moscow
- 5Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Wires > Sport
- 17:39 CET Roland Garros roof or extension ‘not crucial’ for Paris 2024 bid
- 17:38 CET South Africa name hooker Strauss as captain
- 17:11 CET Gasquet hopes for ‘Davis Cup’ crowd to help conquer Murray
- 17:08 CET Cook is first Englishman to hit 10,000 test runs
- 16:03 CET Worried Gasol wants more Zika details ahead of Rio
- 15:37 CET Rashford signs long-term contract with Man United
- 15:03 CET Deportivo sack coach Sanchez
- 14:29 CET Champions Leicester set to sign Hanover keeper Zieler