20/12/13 07:39 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Turkish and Olympic 1,500 metre champion,
Asli Cakir Alptekin, has been cleared of doping violations by her country’s Athletics Federation.
However, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has reportedly not yet received the full judgement on Cakir in English. The body will apparently review the decision to see if it should be appealed in the Court of Arbitration.
“We will review the decision upon receipt and decide whether or not it should be appealed to CAS (the Court of Arbitration
for Sport) as per IAAF rules,” spokesman Chris Turner said in an email to Reuters.
Cakir missed the world championships in Moscow in May after being provisionally banned because abnormalities were detected in her biological passport.
Biological passports work by creating individual blood profiles for each athlete, rather than testing for specific performance-enhancing drugs.
If the results of the blood test deviate significantly from previous measures, an athlete can face a doping charge.
The athlete had already served a two-year suspension at junior level following a
positive dope test in 2004.
A second conviction could, therefore, result in Cakir receiving a lifetime ban from the sport.
Over 30 athletes have been suspended by the Turkish federation for doping in 2013.
Among these is double European 100 metres hurdles champion Nevin Yanit.
The scandal is thought to have affected Istanbul’s chances of hosting the 2020 Olympic Games. Tokyo won the vote in September.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 71000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 8Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 13Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 14Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 15Latest sport news
- 16New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 03:23 CET Corinthians canter to title with three games to spare
- 02:25 CET Bring on the pink ball, says Australia spinner Lyon
- 00:57 CET Lomu to have public memorial, Queen sends condolences
- 00:11 CET Federer repels Nishikori fightback to win group
- 23:07 CET Djokovic through to semi-finals at year-ender
- 22:25 CET Ernst sets pace in LPGA season-ender, Ko lurks three back
- 22:04 CET Bryans edge cliffhanger to stay alive at World Tour Finals
- 22:01 CET Williams won’t appeal against Massa exclusion