Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke about Russia’s bailout of Ukraine during the opening minutes of his annual press conference in Moscow on Thursday.
“This (the aid to Ukraine) is not at all linked to (protests at) Maidan (Independence Square), nor with the EU-talks that Ukraine leads… We’re just seeing that Ukraine is in dire straits and we should support her,” said Putin, addressing thousands of journalists gathered in the Moscow Trade Centre.
Putin went on to reassure the West about Russia’s military intentions. He said Moscow had not yet decided whether to deploy controversial Iskander missiles near the Polish border in Kaliningrad.
“There’s an important part of US strategic arms advanced into Europe’s periphery – anti-missile shield. We’ve said many times that AMS is a threat to us, to our nuclear potential, and that we’re bound to react to it in one way or another,” said the president.
Putin did not respond directly to a question about failing to persuade Ukraine to join a customs union with Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
He also brushed aside a question about who might succeed him when his presidency ends in 2018.
- 1Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 2Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Yemen: Air strike kills at least 40 people at camp, say aid workers
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET Singapore police arrest teen for anti-Christian online comments
- 03:03 CET Canadian Parliament backs air strikes on Islamic State in Syria
- 02:10 CET Children’s lives at stake as donors meet for Syria summit – aid…
- 02:02 CET One million green jobs projected by 2030 in China, EU and U.S. -…
- 02:00 CET U.S. supports, would cooperate with proposed Arab force – Carter
- 01:21 CET Libyan oil guards demand state firm to reopen the two biggest oil…
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison