Footage showing migrants at the Island of Lampedusa reception centre being sprayed for scabies has caused outrage in Italy.
The images, filmed on a mobile phone, appear to show detainees being forced to strip naked in mixed company while workers hose them down, outdoors and in the freezing cold.
Italy’s Prime Minister Enrico Letta was questioned about the treatment which politicians have described as degrading.
“Regarding Lampedusa, these are extremely grave pictures, that shocked us, and most of all me. The government intends to conduct a thorough inquiry, to verify and if necessary punish those responsible,” Letta said.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has in the past called the conditions in Lampedusa unacceptable. The centre is designed to hold some 250 people but often four or five times that many are housed there.
Some of those in the video were survivors of October’s disaster when a a boat sank near the island drowning over 360 people.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
‘Last chance’ meeting for Greece as euro zone creditors gather
Tsakalotos reveals notes but no new proposals at Eurogroup
Greek people worry about their savings and their country’s future
Al Shabaab kills quarry workers in Kenya gun attack
Migrant dies in Channel Tunnel after jumping on UK-bound train
Wires > News
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria
- 21:02 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 20:47 CET Eritrea sees U.N. scrutiny, migrant exodus as part of ‘conspiracy’
- 19:54 CET Gunmen storm national radio in Central African Republic
- 19:47 CET Homegrown jihadists with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracy
- 19:29 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline
- 19:22 CET Sierra Leone urged to ban FGM after backing women’s rights treaty
- 19:21 CET ‘Real risk’ of famine in Yemen as death toll passes 3,000