Footage showing migrants at the Island of Lampedusa reception centre being sprayed for scabies has caused outrage in Italy.
The images, filmed on a mobile phone, appear to show detainees being forced to strip naked in mixed company while workers hose them down, outdoors and in the freezing cold.
Italy’s Prime Minister Enrico Letta was questioned about the treatment which politicians have described as degrading.
“Regarding Lampedusa, these are extremely grave pictures, that shocked us, and most of all me. The government intends to conduct a thorough inquiry, to verify and if necessary punish those responsible,” Letta said.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has in the past called the conditions in Lampedusa unacceptable. The centre is designed to hold some 250 people but often four or five times that many are housed there.
Some of those in the video were survivors of October’s disaster when a a boat sank near the island drowning over 360 people.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Palestinian leadership halts security ties with Israel
- 2LaGuardia runway in ‘good condition’ before Delta Airlines crash-land
- 3South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 4Ukraine crisis tops agenda in Renzi’s first official visit to Moscow
- 5US vows not to cede to threats after knife attack on South Korea envoy
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 16Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Exclusive: Sudan’s Bashir on ISIL, Darfur and accusations of genocide and war crimes | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 09:42 CET Vietnam party chief to make U.S. trip, still at odds over human…
- 09:36 CET Islamic State militants bulldoze ancient Nimrud city
- 09:20 CET Tajik opposition leader shot dead in Istanbul – Turkish media
- 08:32 CET “Made in China” nuclear reactors a tough sell in global market
- 08:26 CET Syrian army kills top Nusra Front leader – state media
- 08:26 CET China’s No. 3 leader warns Hong Kong activists against “crossing a…
- 08:12 CET South Korea police investigate U.S. ambassador attacker’s visits…
- 08:00 CET Indonesia official says not sure executions will take place this…