Footage showing migrants at the Island of Lampedusa reception centre being sprayed for scabies has caused outrage in Italy.
The images, filmed on a mobile phone, appear to show detainees being forced to strip naked in mixed company while workers hose them down, outdoors and in the freezing cold.
Italy’s Prime Minister Enrico Letta was questioned about the treatment which politicians have described as degrading.
“Regarding Lampedusa, these are extremely grave pictures, that shocked us, and most of all me. The government intends to conduct a thorough inquiry, to verify and if necessary punish those responsible,” Letta said.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has in the past called the conditions in Lampedusa unacceptable. The centre is designed to hold some 250 people but often four or five times that many are housed there.
Some of those in the video were survivors of October’s disaster when a a boat sank near the island drowning over 360 people.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Thousands of Kosovars mourn Albanian militants killed in Macedonia
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…
- 22:58 CET Rocket fired from Gaza lands near Israeli port Ashdod – police
- 21:44 CET Italian mafia boss arrested in Brazil after 30 years on the run
- 21:09 CET Libya’s premier Thinni says he survived assassination attempt