18/12/13 02:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Footage showing migrants at the Island of Lampedusa reception centre being sprayed for scabies has caused outrage in Italy.
The images, filmed on a mobile phone, appear to show detainees being forced to strip naked in mixed company while workers hose them down, outdoors and in the freezing cold.
Italy’s Prime Minister Enrico Letta was questioned about the treatment which politicians have described as degrading.
“Regarding Lampedusa, these are extremely grave pictures, that shocked us, and most of all me. The government intends to conduct a thorough inquiry, to verify and if necessary punish those responsible,” Letta said.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has in the past called the conditions in Lampedusa unacceptable. The centre is designed to hold some 250 people but often four or five times that many are housed there.
Some of those in the video were survivors of October’s disaster when a a boat sank near the island drowning over 360 people.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Wires > News
- 12:45 CET Austrian presidential election must be re-run, court rules
- 12:44 CET Russia stresses need for joint fight with Turkey against terrorism
- 12:42 CET Two Romanians charged in Hungary for leaving 100 migrants in…
- 12:33 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 12:31 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 12:26 CET Turkey’s parliament passes law to restructure judiciary…
- 12:22 CET Turkey says must work with Russia for political solution in Syria
- 12:19 CET Syria’s Assad: Brexit vote shows UK leaders ‘disconnected from…