The European Commission threatened Italy with legal action on Wednesday in reaction to images of young Africans being sprayed for scabies in a detention centre in Lampedusa.
Captured on a mobile phone, the images of the naked migrants remind Europe of what some call a shameful situation for migrants on its periphery.
EU Commissioner for Home Affairs Cecilia Malstrom called the images appalling, saying Italy may have breached EU rules for treating asylum seekers. According to her spokesperson, an inquiry is already underway in Italy and the Commission is waiting to find out who is responsible.
Southern European countries have been asking EU member states for months for a fairer spread of the burden when dealing with migrants. The matter is likely to be brought up at an EU summit later this week, including Commission proposals to change EU asylum rules.
- 1Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 2Day of chaos hits Hungary as migrants march to Austria
- 3Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 4Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 5Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 01:50 CET Druze leader killed in car bomb in southern Syria – monitor
- 01:19 CET Saudi Arabia satisfied with Obama’s assurances on Iran deal
- 00:50 CET Pakistani nationals extradited to U.S. in narco-terrorism case
- 23:26 CET Saudi Arabia welcomes Iran nuclear deal after Obama meeting -…
- 22:26 CET Thousands rally in Beirut over politician’s presidential election…
- 21:32 CET North Korean karaoke stirs fear of mass propaganda sing-along in…
- 21:09 CET German U.N. official seen as favourite for Libya post – envoys
- 20:48 CET From Vietnam War to a Turkish beach, the shock of the photo endures