China’s space agency has released the first pictures of the landing on the moon of the lunar probe Chang’e 3 and its rover, Jade Rabbit.
Chang’e 3 performed the first soft moon landing since 1976, when the Russians were the last to visit.
The 140-kilo rover will spend three months surveying the area’s surface substances and geological structure, and looking for natural resources. The lander will take samples for a year at the place where it touched down in the Bay of Rainbows, an area unexplored by either the USA or Russia.
It was all smiles in ground control, where President Li Jinping was on hand for congratulations, and to check that China was on course to fulfil his promise of becoming a major space power.
Once everything had checked out, the Chinese scientists deployed the rover, and Jade Rabbit moved some nine metres away, to take colour photos of the probe. This offered Chinese viewers back home their first-ever glimpse of their nation’s red and golden-starred flag on an extraterrestrial body.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…