China’s space agency has released the first pictures of the landing on the moon of the lunar probe Chang’e 3 and its rover, Jade Rabbit.
Chang’e 3 performed the first soft moon landing since 1976, when the Russians were the last to visit.
The 140-kilo rover will spend three months surveying the area’s surface substances and geological structure, and looking for natural resources. The lander will take samples for a year at the place where it touched down in the Bay of Rainbows, an area unexplored by either the USA or Russia.
It was all smiles in ground control, where President Li Jinping was on hand for congratulations, and to check that China was on course to fulfil his promise of becoming a major space power.
Once everything had checked out, the Chinese scientists deployed the rover, and Jade Rabbit moved some nine metres away, to take colour photos of the probe. This offered Chinese viewers back home their first-ever glimpse of their nation’s red and golden-starred flag on an extraterrestrial body.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down