It is now possible to travel from Barcelona to Paris by train in less than six and a half hours.
Jean-Louis Conte, a passenger on the first train, said: “It’s a very good thing. We gain time – and it’s also a way to bring two countries closer in a very effective way.”
But Antoni Prat, another customer of the new service, complained: “We’ve been waiting for this for 20 years now. The Spanish government still works like it’s in the last century.”
The line was inaugurated by Spanish Public Transport Minister Ana Pastor and French Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier in the city of Perpignan, southern France.
The cross-border trains had been scheduled to launch in the first half of the year, but technical problems held up the start date.
France’s SNCF said it needed extra time to adapt its trains to run on Spanish track. While Spain’s RENFE reportedly had similar issues preparing its trains to operate in France.
There will be two daily services between Barcelona and Paris, covering the journey in 6 hours and 25 minutes.
Other routes offered by the service include Madrid-Marseille (7 hours), Barcelona-Toulouse (3 hours) and Barcelona-Lyon (5 hours).
The project, which was approved in 1992, currently has to run slower on a section of track between Perpignan and Nimes, but RENFE said that is due to upgraded in the next several years.
That would bring the duration of the Barcelona to Paris journey down to 5 hours and 30 minutes.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Syria: Ceasefire breaks down in three strategic towns
Ministers discuss how to protect Europe’s trains from terrorism
Bahrain policeman killed in ‘terrorist’ blast
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Wires > News
- 11:55 CET North Korea agrees to talks with South on family reunions
- 11:28 CET Anguish of ‘disappearance’ continues across the world, say…
- 11:13 CET Egyptian court sentences Al Jazeera journalists to three years in…
- 10:30 CET Nigeria says uncovers Boko Haram spy ring at Abuja airport
- 10:20 CET Thousands join rally to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals