13/12/13 05:47 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Despite the arrival of 1,600 French troops, and patrols by the FOMAC African peacekeepers, the situation in the capital of the Central African Republic (CAR) has yet to be fully stabilised.
Many people are taking refuge in Bangui airport where Doctors Without Borders, the only humanitarian aid organisation in the area, is struggling to cope with the influx of people.
“It’s really a big mess because there’s nobody else here and we really hope that the other organisations will start to do anything there,” explained Tessy Fautsch, emergency medical coordinator at the airport.
“As you can see, there are a lot of people everywhere, no toilets, not a lot of water and yeah, it’s just a mess,” Fautsch said.
Reports suggest between ten and forty thousand people have flocked to the airport, in a desperate attempt to seek shelter from the violence.
The CAR has been gripped by chaos since mainly Muslim Seleka rebels took control of the country in March.
France recently boosted its military presence in the capital following a wave of massacres that has killed over 500 people.
Two French soldiers have died in action since troop numbers were reinforced.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Belgium lowers state of alert in Brussels from maximum level
Greek pensioners protest pension cuts
Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Wires > News
- 18:26 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 18:10 CET Belgium lowers security alert level in Brussels
- 18:08 CET Britain building consensus for military action in Syria – Hammond
- 17:54 CET German police arrest two in Berlin suspected of planning attack
- 17:26 CET Stranded migrants try to storm into Macedonia, tear down fence
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque