Despite the arrival of 1,600 French troops, and patrols by the FOMAC African peacekeepers, the situation in the capital of the Central African Republic (CAR) has yet to be fully stabilised.
Many people are taking refuge in Bangui airport where Doctors Without Borders, the only humanitarian aid organisation in the area, is struggling to cope with the influx of people.
“It’s really a big mess because there’s nobody else here and we really hope that the other organisations will start to do anything there,” explained Tessy Fautsch, emergency medical coordinator at the airport.
“As you can see, there are a lot of people everywhere, no toilets, not a lot of water and yeah, it’s just a mess,” Fautsch said.
Reports suggest between ten and forty thousand people have flocked to the airport, in a desperate attempt to seek shelter from the violence.
The CAR has been gripped by chaos since mainly Muslim Seleka rebels took control of the country in March.
France recently boosted its military presence in the capital following a wave of massacres that has killed over 500 people.
Two French soldiers have died in action since troop numbers were reinforced.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
Malaysia: Ex-leader urges ‘people power’ to topple scandal-hit PM
Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
Wires > News
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors
- 21:05 CET Egypt sets October election date, after three years without…
- 19:23 CET U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 18:21 CET Swazi police confirm 13 die in crash en route to royal ceremony
- 17:49 CET Scioli expands lead in Argentina presidential race, runoff seen
- 17:33 CET Obama invites Pakistan PM Sharif for October visit – adviser Rice
- 17:06 CET Greek leftists say they would apply bailout but fight to ease pain