12/12/13 11:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
President Putin delivered Russia’s state of the nation address on Thursday.
In his speech to the Federal Assembly, he said Russia was not trying to be a superpower or to “teach anyone how to live,” widely seen as a veiled criticism of the United States.
Putin said he hoped Ukraine would find a political solution to the current crisis and that the country had a choice whether or not to join a Russian-led Customs Union and was not obliged to do so.
Putin also said he wanted his reforms to be put in place more effectively and blamed the parliament and regional councils for not implementing his decrees properly.
“The reforms that have already been put in place a year and half ago were either done in a way that provoked negative reactions or nothing is done,” Putin said.
Putin went on to condemn racial tensions and violence in the country, saying: “One of the most important things that we have to discuss openly is the problem between the different ethnicities in our country. A lot of racial problems are because of the problems of economics and territorial development, corruption and mistakes in the work of governmental entities as well as the failure in the cultural and educational system.”
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…
- 00:48 CET Brazil could dismiss Rousseff the day before Olympics ends
- 00:05 CET No fanfare as Philippines’ Duterte prepares to take office