12/12/13 11:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
President Putin delivered Russia’s state of the nation address on Thursday.
In his speech to the Federal Assembly, he said Russia was not trying to be a superpower or to “teach anyone how to live,” widely seen as a veiled criticism of the United States.
Putin said he hoped Ukraine would find a political solution to the current crisis and that the country had a choice whether or not to join a Russian-led Customs Union and was not obliged to do so.
Putin also said he wanted his reforms to be put in place more effectively and blamed the parliament and regional councils for not implementing his decrees properly.
“The reforms that have already been put in place a year and half ago were either done in a way that provoked negative reactions or nothing is done,” Putin said.
Putin went on to condemn racial tensions and violence in the country, saying: “One of the most important things that we have to discuss openly is the problem between the different ethnicities in our country. A lot of racial problems are because of the problems of economics and territorial development, corruption and mistakes in the work of governmental entities as well as the failure in the cultural and educational system.”
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China