12/12/13 11:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
President Putin delivered Russia’s state of the nation address on Thursday.
In his speech to the Federal Assembly, he said Russia was not trying to be a superpower or to “teach anyone how to live,” widely seen as a veiled criticism of the United States.
Putin said he hoped Ukraine would find a political solution to the current crisis and that the country had a choice whether or not to join a Russian-led Customs Union and was not obliged to do so.
Putin also said he wanted his reforms to be put in place more effectively and blamed the parliament and regional councils for not implementing his decrees properly.
“The reforms that have already been put in place a year and half ago were either done in a way that provoked negative reactions or nothing is done,” Putin said.
Putin went on to condemn racial tensions and violence in the country, saying: “One of the most important things that we have to discuss openly is the problem between the different ethnicities in our country. A lot of racial problems are because of the problems of economics and territorial development, corruption and mistakes in the work of governmental entities as well as the failure in the cultural and educational system.”
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…