Ukrainian anti-government protesters stood their ground in Kyiv’s Independence Square on Thursday. They rebuilt barricades after the police tried to clear the area the previous day.
They have been protesting for more than two weeks after President Viktor Yanukovych rejected an EU trade deal in favour of closer ties with Russia.
One of the protesters, Sergei, told euronews:“In Moscow, they think that what is happening here is anti-Russian. In Europe they think that what we are fighting for is pro-European. As a matter of fact, our actions are against the bandits (of the Ukrainian government). Most of the protesters who can be seen here are demonstrating for themselves.”
Meanwhile the EU’s foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, has said that Yanukovych “intends to sign” the EU trade and cooperation agreement, which would be an about-face for the president.
However, Yanukovych will meet Russia’s Vladimir Putin at bilateral interstate commission session scheduled for December 17 in Moscow. Protesters fear he will sign an agreement with Russia at that meeting.
They have vowed to stay in Independence Square braving the cold, and the police, until this political tug-of-war is resolved to their satisfaction.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Media respect called into question over Germanwings coverage
- 4Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 5Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Wires > News
- 01:13 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 01:08 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 23:43 CET Saudi blogger Badawi views survival of 50 lashes as miracle -…
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court