Ukraine wants 20 billion euros in economic aid from the EU in return for signing a trade pact with the bloc.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is in Kiev for talks with the government, but the European Commission rejected the demands made by Ukrainian prime minister Mykola Azarov.
“We consider that Ukrainian prosperity and Ukrainian future cannot be subjected to a call of tender where the highest bidder will get the price,” said European Commission spokesman Olivier Bailly.
The calls from Brussels were echoed by Washington, with US officials urging President Yanukovich to reconsider closer ties with Russia and sign an agreement with the EU.
Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland told reporters: “We also made clear that we believe there is a way out for Ukraine and it is still possible to save Ukraine’s European future, and that’s what we want to see the president lead, and that’s going to require immediate security steps.”
Riot police in Kiev charged at demonstrators during the night of Tuesday. The opposition fears Yanukovich will use the security services to crack down on any dissent over his decision to move Ukraine further into Russia’s orbit.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 16Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Exclusive: Sudan’s Bashir on ISIL, Darfur and accusations of genocide and war crimes | euronews, the global conversation