Ukraine wants 20 billion euros in economic aid from the EU in return for signing a trade pact with the bloc.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is in Kiev for talks with the government, but the European Commission rejected the demands made by Ukrainian prime minister Mykola Azarov.
“We consider that Ukrainian prosperity and Ukrainian future cannot be subjected to a call of tender where the highest bidder will get the price,” said European Commission spokesman Olivier Bailly.
The calls from Brussels were echoed by Washington, with US officials urging President Yanukovich to reconsider closer ties with Russia and sign an agreement with the EU.
Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland told reporters: “We also made clear that we believe there is a way out for Ukraine and it is still possible to save Ukraine’s European future, and that’s what we want to see the president lead, and that’s going to require immediate security steps.”
Riot police in Kiev charged at demonstrators during the night of Tuesday. The opposition fears Yanukovich will use the security services to crack down on any dissent over his decision to move Ukraine further into Russia’s orbit.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country