Ukraine wants 20 billion euros in economic aid from the EU in return for signing a trade pact with the bloc.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is in Kiev for talks with the government, but the European Commission rejected the demands made by Ukrainian prime minister Mykola Azarov.
“We consider that Ukrainian prosperity and Ukrainian future cannot be subjected to a call of tender where the highest bidder will get the price,” said European Commission spokesman Olivier Bailly.
The calls from Brussels were echoed by Washington, with US officials urging President Yanukovich to reconsider closer ties with Russia and sign an agreement with the EU.
Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland told reporters: “We also made clear that we believe there is a way out for Ukraine and it is still possible to save Ukraine’s European future, and that’s what we want to see the president lead, and that’s going to require immediate security steps.”
Riot police in Kiev charged at demonstrators during the night of Tuesday. The opposition fears Yanukovich will use the security services to crack down on any dissent over his decision to move Ukraine further into Russia’s orbit.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]