An ancient Egyptian statue stolen during the 2011 revolt against Hosni Mubarak has been found in Belgium.
The piece dates back 2500 years
and went missing from the Egyptian Museum during unrest on Tahrir Square.
The piece was smuggled to Belgium where a French expert analysed it and contacted Egyptian officials.
Egyptian ambassador to EU Ihan Fawzy told Euronews: “This relic is made up of two parts. The other is still in the museum in Egypt and this one will be returned to Cairo to complete the statue.”
Egypt regularly announces the discovery of stolen treasures.
In November, it said it had found dozens of artefacts that had been put up for sale by an auction house in Jerusalem
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president