An ancient Egyptian statue stolen during the 2011 revolt against Hosni Mubarak has been found in Belgium.
The piece dates back 2500 years
and went missing from the Egyptian Museum during unrest on Tahrir Square.
The piece was smuggled to Belgium where a French expert analysed it and contacted Egyptian officials.
Egyptian ambassador to EU Ihan Fawzy told Euronews: “This relic is made up of two parts. The other is still in the museum in Egypt and this one will be returned to Cairo to complete the statue.”
Egypt regularly announces the discovery of stolen treasures.
In November, it said it had found dozens of artefacts that had been put up for sale by an auction house in Jerusalem
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking?
- 2Protesters surround EU buildings as anti-TTIP anger voiced in Brussels
- 3Belgium gripped by travel chaos as strike takes hold
- 4euronews discusses Russia with Latvian PM after EU summit ends
- 5Chaos or cohesion: how will Europe respond to a major terror attack?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news