Concern is mounting over security in Brazil ahead of next summer’s World Cup.
It was prompted by violent scenes during a Brazilian championship match on Sunday, in which three people were seriously injured.
Andrei Rodrigues, special secretary of major events at Brazil’s justice ministry, said: “The violence on Sunday is not related to the World Cup.
“For the games in the World Cup we will use the example we followed in the Confederations Cup, there is a whole dynamic, a whole series of preparations and plans and evaluation of the risks, a whole scenario which will surely avoid this type of scenario.”
Meanwhile Brazilian footballer Marta, known as the female Pele, expressed her disappointment.
She said: “It’s an event which isn’t positive at all, but we have to think that it won’t happen again in relation to the World Cup. I hope that they take measures to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”
The latest violence comes on the back of frequent clashes between police and protesters in the last year or so.
It’s included the military being sent into Rio de Janeiro’s favela communities to restore order after gang violence.
There have also been protests by people who feel money should be spent on public services rather than a football world cup.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.