The European Union’s Foreign Police Chief has met both the president and anti-government demonstrators in Ukraine.
Catherine Ashton was at the protest camp at Independence Square, which has been the scene of barricades and tents for over two weeks now, and was greeted with chants of ‘molodets’ or ‘good fellow’.
She went on to meet three protest leaders: boxer turned politician Vitaly Klitschko as well as Arseniy Yatsenyuk and Oleh Tyahnybok.
Speaking before the meeting, Baroness Ashton expressed concern over a raid on the headquarters of Ukraine’s biggest opposition party, ‘Fatherland’, led by Yulia Tymoshemko, who’s currently in jail. The EU considers Tymoshemko a political prisoner.
Earlier, Catherine Ashton had talks with Ukraine’s President Victor Yanukovych, whose rejection of a trade deal with the EU triggered the protests.
The two met for three and a half hours, but so far no details of the talks have been released.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 13:40 CET Baltimore smolders after riot over black man’s police – custody…
- 13:34 CET Houthis and tribesmen battle in central Yemen, at least 15 dead
- 13:32 CET Sweden’s Supreme Court says will hear Assange appeal over arrest…
- 13:21 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, says referendum possible
- 12:54 CET Immigrants slow population decline in Germany – statistics office
- 12:53 CET India cancels licences of nearly 9,000 charities over foreign funds
- 12:45 CET Islamic State has killed over 2,000 off battlefield since June -…
- 12:43 CET China ‘extremely concerned’ by ASEAN statement on disputed sea