The European Union’s Foreign Police Chief has met both the president and anti-government demonstrators in Ukraine.
Catherine Ashton was at the protest camp at Independence Square, which has been the scene of barricades and tents for over two weeks now, and was greeted with chants of ‘molodets’ or ‘good fellow’.
She went on to meet three protest leaders: boxer turned politician Vitaly Klitschko as well as Arseniy Yatsenyuk and Oleh Tyahnybok.
Speaking before the meeting, Baroness Ashton expressed concern over a raid on the headquarters of Ukraine’s biggest opposition party, ‘Fatherland’, led by Yulia Tymoshemko, who’s currently in jail. The EU considers Tymoshemko a political prisoner.
Earlier, Catherine Ashton had talks with Ukraine’s President Victor Yanukovych, whose rejection of a trade deal with the EU triggered the protests.
The two met for three and a half hours, but so far no details of the talks have been released.
- 1China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
- 2Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 3Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
- 4Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
- 5Palestinians and Jews hold vigils for victims of extremism
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Latest world news
Newly-opened Athens stock market plunges after five-week shutdown
MH370: Investigators to meet in Paris to coordinate work
Climate Change: Obama to unveil ‘biggest, most important step’ taken by the US
Nigeria: Army says it has freed 178 Boko Haram captives
Journalists in Mexico rally over press intimidation after photographer murder
Wires > News
- 12:30 CET Syrian jet crashes into market in rebel-held area, 27 killed
- 12:20 CET Russia critical of U.S. plan to give rebels air cover in Syria
- 11:54 CET Predecessor says Yemen leader Hadi should be tried for treason
- 11:51 CET Kerry seeks to convince Gulf Arabs on Iran deal
- 11:50 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 11:11 CET Russia says kills six suspected militants in North Caucasus
- 11:06 CET China wants no talk of South China Sea at upcoming ASEAN meeting
- 10:40 CET China seeks hearts and minds with Tibetan resettlements