The European Union’s Foreign Police Chief has met both the president and anti-government demonstrators in Ukraine.
Catherine Ashton was at the protest camp at Independence Square, which has been the scene of barricades and tents for over two weeks now, and was greeted with chants of ‘molodets’ or ‘good fellow’.
She went on to meet three protest leaders: boxer turned politician Vitaly Klitschko as well as Arseniy Yatsenyuk and Oleh Tyahnybok.
Speaking before the meeting, Baroness Ashton expressed concern over a raid on the headquarters of Ukraine’s biggest opposition party, ‘Fatherland’, led by Yulia Tymoshemko, who’s currently in jail. The EU considers Tymoshemko a political prisoner.
Earlier, Catherine Ashton had talks with Ukraine’s President Victor Yanukovych, whose rejection of a trade deal with the EU triggered the protests.
The two met for three and a half hours, but so far no details of the talks have been released.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 3Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 5Russia: floral tributes pile up at Nemtsov murder scene
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:05 CET Video shows fatal Los Angeles police shooting of homeless man
- 03:04 CET China to hold parade, invite leaders to mark World War Two…
- 02:57 CET Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April summit in Panama
- 01:39 CET U.S. spy chief says he got a mixed reception in North Korea
- 01:35 CET U.S. air safety threatened by possible hacking – senators
- 00:36 CET Exclusive – Obama says Iran must halt key nuclear work for at…
- 00:32 CET Obama, Israel’s Netanyahu clash over Iran diplomacy
- 00:25 CET Somali-American on FBI watch list detained in Somalia: source