09/12/13 19:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of farmers, lorry drivers, pensioners and unemployed people have taken to the streets in Italy as part of a series of protests against the government and the European Union.
Demonstrators stopped train services by walking on the tracks while striking lorry drivers disrupted traffic by driving slowly and blocking roads.
The ‘Pitchfork Movement’ as it is known was originally a group of Sicilian farmers pushing for more help from the government but has grown into a wider movement.
Demonstrators are angry about a range of issues including globalisation, taxes, fuel prices and the euro.
One protester said:“We must recover our dignity. That means jobs, social protection and rights. So far we just have duties”
Many share the protesters’ anger and at one point police officers in Turin took off their helmets, in a show of solidarity.
Italy’s economy is in deep recession with youth unemployment at over 40 percent and many businesses going bust.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 15:46 CET U.S. Joint Base Andrews on lockdown over active shooter report
- 15:32 CET Belize tanker with five Russians among crew detained off Libya
- 15:17 CET Istanbul airport bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz – Turkish…
- 15:12 CET U.S. downgrades Myanmar, raises Thailand in human trafficking…
- 15:08 CET Saudi Arabia to introduce hi-tech bracelets in haj safety push
- 14:12 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 14:09 CET Charges against Myanmar’s ‘Saffron Revolution’ leader pile up
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…