Coronation Park is a squatter camp with a majority white population in Krugersdorp, South Africa.
Although impoverished blacks in the region far outnumber their white counterparts, this camp is one of a growing number of townships populated mostly by Afrikaners – white South Africans.
In the 19 years since the fall of apartheid, more and more whites are coming face to face with poverty and social meltdown.
A controversial “affirmative action” policy sees blacks take precedence over whites on the job market, giving some people little choice but to move into tents and caravans in camps such as Coronation Park.
Residents are frustrated at what they see as ‘reverse apartheid.’
“I’m sorry, it’s racist. I’m not racist, but the blacks come first and then whites,” said one retired resident of the camp. “And even highly qualified whites don’t get a position in South Africa.”
Another man agreed, blaming affirmative action for their situation.
“Apartheid was a problem. But, this is the only country in the world where the majority has got ‘affirmative action’,” he said. “America’s got affirmative action, everywhere’s got affirmation action, but this is the only country where the majority’s got ‘affirmative action’.”
Post-apartheid governments have struggled to achieve redistribution of wealth and economic growth, leading to an increase in poverty among the country’s white population.
In spite of this, white South Africans still control most of the country’s economy.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 22:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 22:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 21:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 20:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones
- 19:03 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Tikrit, other Iraqi cities
- 18:43 CET Thousands march through Rome against Renzi’s labour reform
- 18:21 CET Kenya hits out at Britain’s tougher travel warning