The American actress Hayden Panettiere has appeared alongside her Ukrainian fiancée, the boxer Vladimir Klitschko, to deliver a message of support to anti-government protesters in Kyiv on Friday night.
Vladimir’s older brother Vitaly Klitschko, also a world boxing champion, has emerged as a popular opposition leader.
After saying “good evening friends” in Ukrainian, the actress addressed the crowd in English while her fiancée translated.
“There’s a movement happening here, and you have a chance to make things right, to make things just. You have a right to a democracy,” Panettiere said.
“And as an American I want you to know that I stand by you, I support your fight, and I will support it until the country of Ukraine in its entirety reflects the beauty, the true beauty of Ukrainian people. Keep fighting. I love you all,” she added.
Vladimir Klitschko said he believed those responsible for violent clashes in Kyiv on November 30 and December 1 would be found.
The couple announced their engagement in October.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
Barnacles could provide clue to location of MH370 crash
Rio police ‘trigger happy’ says Amnesty as Olympics loom
One year after ISIL bloodshed Iraq’s Yazidis still suffering
Syrian warplane crashes in rebel-held town, casualties reported
Britain announces new measures to clampdown on migrants
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Dutch crane collapse demolishes houses, injuring at least 20
- 16:55 CET Russian FM meets Hamas chief, invites him to Moscow – official
- 16:49 CET India signs peace accord with militant tribal separatists
- 16:27 CET Pro-Hadi fighters, Houthis battle over Yemen’s largest military…
- 16:18 CET Disapproval of Chile’s President Bachelet hits record high – poll
- 16:08 CET Insight – Breaking taboo, Jerusalem Palestinians seek Israeli…
- 15:42 CET Former Brazil chief of staff took bribes in office – prosecutor
- 15:17 CET Second top Iraqi oil official shot dead in Kirkuk – police