07/12/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The American actress Hayden Panettiere has appeared alongside her Ukrainian fiancée, the boxer Vladimir Klitschko, to deliver a message of support to anti-government protesters in Kyiv on Friday night.
Vladimir’s older brother Vitaly Klitschko, also a world boxing champion, has emerged as a popular opposition leader.
After saying “good evening friends” in Ukrainian, the actress addressed the crowd in English while her fiancée translated.
“There’s a movement happening here, and you have a chance to make things right, to make things just. You have a right to a democracy,” Panettiere said.
“And as an American I want you to know that I stand by you, I support your fight, and I will support it until the country of Ukraine in its entirety reflects the beauty, the true beauty of Ukrainian people. Keep fighting. I love you all,” she added.
Vladimir Klitschko said he believed those responsible for violent clashes in Kyiv on November 30 and December 1 would be found.
The couple announced their engagement in October.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET Colombia to offer tax breaks for development under peace deal
- 22:38 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 21:00 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper