07/12/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The American actress Hayden Panettiere has appeared alongside her Ukrainian fiancée, the boxer Vladimir Klitschko, to deliver a message of support to anti-government protesters in Kyiv on Friday night.
Vladimir’s older brother Vitaly Klitschko, also a world boxing champion, has emerged as a popular opposition leader.
After saying “good evening friends” in Ukrainian, the actress addressed the crowd in English while her fiancée translated.
“There’s a movement happening here, and you have a chance to make things right, to make things just. You have a right to a democracy,” Panettiere said.
“And as an American I want you to know that I stand by you, I support your fight, and I will support it until the country of Ukraine in its entirety reflects the beauty, the true beauty of Ukrainian people. Keep fighting. I love you all,” she added.
Vladimir Klitschko said he believed those responsible for violent clashes in Kyiv on November 30 and December 1 would be found.
The couple announced their engagement in October.
Wires > News
- 05:35 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 04:12 CET Basement fire at Shanghai Hongqiao airport kills two – People’s…
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial
- 00:26 CET Iran asks U.N. chief to intervene with U.S. after court ruling
- 00:01 CET Biden visits Iraq in show of support amid multiple crises
- 22:57 CET Obama expects U.S. to admit 10,000 Syrian refugees this year