If you are Hungarian and facing a meagre Christmas then pop along to the Santa Factory in central Budapest where for the last nine years a charity has been trying to bring some cheer to Hungary’s poor.
A giant bubble sits in Heroes Square, and anyone can go along with donations of clothes, toys or items they no longer want, or food or gifts.
“More and more donations arrive at the Santa Factory every year. This year the goal is to help 300 thousand children in need,” says euronews’ Andrea Hajagos.
Also being built nearby is a novel Christmas tree made entirely of 365 sledges. It is dismantled in the new year and the sledges handed out to children who do not have one.
“I want every child to have presents, even if they are poor,” said one little boy.
“Here we can help more effectively throughout this whole system, because I cannot get to everybody’s home personally one by one,” says volunteer Mariann Szabó.
In all there are 100 branches of the Santa Factory around the country staffed by 800 volunteers. It is estimated 25% of Hungarian children live in need or in poor circumstances.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 18:59 CET Brazil police arrest Lula minister in bribery scandal
- 18:36 CET U.S., allies stage 29 air strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 18:31 CET Libya probing guards seen in video beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 18:26 CET Dutch crane collapse demolishes houses, injuring at least 20
- 18:26 CET Kerry hopes for better Iran conduct after deal but it ‘may not…
- 17:56 CET Syria’s western-backed political opposition structure reelects…
- 17:43 CET India signs peace accord with militant tribal separatists
- 17:18 CET Sudan says willing to suspend verdicts against rebels who join…