07/12/13 19:19 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
If you are Hungarian and facing a meagre Christmas then pop along to the Santa Factory in central Budapest where for the last nine years a charity has been trying to bring some cheer to Hungary’s poor.
A giant bubble sits in Heroes Square, and anyone can go along with donations of clothes, toys or items they no longer want, or food or gifts.
“More and more donations arrive at the Santa Factory every year. This year the goal is to help 300 thousand children in need,” says euronews’ Andrea Hajagos.
Also being built nearby is a novel Christmas tree made entirely of 365 sledges. It is dismantled in the new year and the sledges handed out to children who do not have one.
“I want every child to have presents, even if they are poor,” said one little boy.
“Here we can help more effectively throughout this whole system, because I cannot get to everybody’s home personally one by one,” says volunteer Mariann Szabó.
In all there are 100 branches of the Santa Factory around the country staffed by 800 volunteers. It is estimated 25% of Hungarian children live in need or in poor circumstances.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Russian and Turkish foreign ministers meet in Sochi
Europe falls silent to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of the Somme
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET Putin says Russia to talk to NATO on measures of trust and…
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea
- 18:13 CET Avoid flights over Baltic Sea with transponders off – Finnish…
- 18:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 17:47 CET Three Kenyan police reported held over disappearances, rights…
- 17:26 CET Czech Republic says you can call us Czechia
- 17:17 CET Israel to cut Palestinian tax transfers after West Bank killing
- 17:16 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels say pilot killed