Amid high tension in Kyiv, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has joined a meeting of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) being held there.
Mass demonstrations are taking place in the Ukrainian capital sparked by the government’s decision to suspend a long-planned EU trade pact and refocus on economic ties with Russia. After a violent crackdown by riot police last weekend, anger at the authorities has grown and the protests have swelled.
With the host city in the midst of a crisis that some see as a battle between East and West, there are strains among the OSCE delegates as well.
Germany’s Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle and the US Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Victoria Nuland have both expressed support for the demonstrators.
Russia’s Lavrov has said that other nations should not interfere in Ukraine’s political turmoil.
The OSCE says it supports an investigation into the police’s use of force on protesters which left hundreds injured, among them dozens of journalists.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…