05/12/13 20:18 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Up to 2000 European jihadists are fighting against the Assad regime in Syria, according to Belgium’s interior minister. That number was said to be just 600 in June.
Joëlle Milquet, Belgian Interior Minister made the comments in a joint press conference with her French counterpart, Manuel Valls.
“With regards to the European figures, we estimate it’s between 1500 and 2000, given what we have heard from our counterparts. The numbers by country are very standard. It’s a phenomenon which is very generalised, that exists in identical proportions with people who have identical profiles” – said Milquet.
French Interior Minister Valls said he didn’t see any imminent terror threat from those EU citizens returning from fighting jihad in Syria.
“Today we do not see a direct or indirect on our respective countries, our interests, our fellow citizens, nor against those people or interests of our allies.”
Belgium and France are two of nine EU member states sharing information with Australia, Canada and the US on foreign jihadists.
The EU’s top anti-terror offical wants airline passenger information made available to keep track of would-be fighters.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president