05/12/13 20:18 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Up to 2000 European jihadists are fighting against the Assad regime in Syria, according to Belgium’s interior minister. That number was said to be just 600 in June.
Joëlle Milquet, Belgian Interior Minister made the comments in a joint press conference with her French counterpart, Manuel Valls.
“With regards to the European figures, we estimate it’s between 1500 and 2000, given what we have heard from our counterparts. The numbers by country are very standard. It’s a phenomenon which is very generalised, that exists in identical proportions with people who have identical profiles” – said Milquet.
French Interior Minister Valls said he didn’t see any imminent terror threat from those EU citizens returning from fighting jihad in Syria.
“Today we do not see a direct or indirect on our respective countries, our interests, our fellow citizens, nor against those people or interests of our allies.”
Belgium and France are two of nine EU member states sharing information with Australia, Canada and the US on foreign jihadists.
The EU’s top anti-terror offical wants airline passenger information made available to keep track of would-be fighters.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze