05/12/13 07:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Northern Germany is bracing itself for possibly one of its heaviest storms in the past decade.
Hurricane Xaver is fast approaching bringing with it snow and floods.
Winds of up to 180 kilometres per hour are forecast causing air and road transport chaos.
The storm flood is expected to hit Bremen and Hamburg early on Friday.
The region was hit by storm “Christian” in October, which killed eight people. However Xaver is expected to be more vigorous.
Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s national railway, is advising travelers in the states of Schleswig-Holstein, northern Lower-Saxony, Hamburg and Bremen to cancel their plans if possible.
The company stated that it was preparing for possible disruptions to services or closures in those regions.
At the same time, airports are also warning of possible delays or cancellations of flights because of the inclement weather.
Storms hit Scotland
A truck driver was killed in West Lothian, Edinburgh, when his truck overturned and struck other vehicles as Scotland faces heavy storms and severe gale force winds on Thursday.
Porth Eirias Colwyn Bay pic.twitter.com/A0R23tR6C1— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) 5 Décembre 2013
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
Paris terror attack victims honoured at national memorial service
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
Paris terror victims honoured in national memorial service
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Wires > News
- 16:10 CET Germans to give more to charity, spend less on Christmas presents
- 16:03 CET Even in Chavez’s hometown, Venezuela ‘revolution’ ails before…
- 15:55 CET Burkina Faso to choose first new leader in three decades
- 15:53 CET Tunisia bus bomber arrested, freed before attack
- 15:51 CET Brazil dam disaster shows flaws in decrepit mining regulator
- 15:35 CET Iranian hard-liners said to intensify crackdown ahead of key votes
- 15:22 CET Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist’s…
- 15:15 CET NATO split on message to send Georgia on membership hopes