Northern Germany is bracing itself for possibly one of its heaviest storms in the past decade.
Hurricane Xaver is fast approaching bringing with it snow and floods.
Winds of up to 180 kilometres per hour are forecast causing air and road transport chaos.
The storm flood is expected to hit Bremen and Hamburg early on Friday.
The region was hit by storm “Christian” in October, which killed eight people. However Xaver is expected to be more vigorous.
Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s national railway, is advising travelers in the states of Schleswig-Holstein, northern Lower-Saxony, Hamburg and Bremen to cancel their plans if possible.
The company stated that it was preparing for possible disruptions to services or closures in those regions.
At the same time, airports are also warning of possible delays or cancellations of flights because of the inclement weather.
Storms hit Scotland
A truck driver was killed in West Lothian, Edinburgh, when his truck overturned and struck other vehicles as Scotland faces heavy storms and severe gale force winds on Thursday.
Porth Eirias Colwyn Bay pic.twitter.com/A0R23tR6C1— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) 5 Décembre 2013
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin tries to reassure over rouble worries, but also slams the West
- 2Eight children stabbed to death in Cairns, Australia.
- 3Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 4US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 5EU summit agrees 300 billion euro fund to avert crisis
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 3US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 4New era for US-Cuba relations after 18 months of secret talks
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Italian singer-song writer ‘Pino’ dies on stage
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 16Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 12:10 CET Five more Ukrainian soldiers killed despite truce – Kiev military
- 11:59 CET Kenya’s Kenyatta signs security law despite protests
- 11:54 CET French far-right mayor gets one-year ban over campaign funds
- 11:46 CET Financial fraud uncovered at branch of Franciscan order
- 11:37 CET Hong Kong former official, property tycoon guilty in graft case
- 11:28 CET Russian prosecutors wants 10 years in jail for Kremlin foe Navalny
- 11:22 CET Russia’s Lavrov criticises Ukraine statement on neutral status
- 11:17 CET Of $5.4 billion pledged for Gaza, only a fraction delivered