Northern Germany is bracing itself for possibly one of its heaviest storms in the past decade.
Hurricane Xaver is fast approaching bringing with it snow and floods.
Winds of up to 180 kilometres per hour are forecast causing air and road transport chaos.
The storm flood is expected to hit Bremen and Hamburg early on Friday.
The region was hit by storm “Christian” in October, which killed eight people. However Xaver is expected to be more vigorous.
Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s national railway, is advising travelers in the states of Schleswig-Holstein, northern Lower-Saxony, Hamburg and Bremen to cancel their plans if possible.
The company stated that it was preparing for possible disruptions to services or closures in those regions.
At the same time, airports are also warning of possible delays or cancellations of flights because of the inclement weather.
Storms hit Scotland
A truck driver was killed in West Lothian, Edinburgh, when his truck overturned and struck other vehicles as Scotland faces heavy storms and severe gale force winds on Thursday.
Porth Eirias Colwyn Bay pic.twitter.com/A0R23tR6C1— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) 5 Décembre 2013
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 2Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4At least 27 killed in rocket attack on Ukraine’s Mariupol
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 5Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:12 CET France plans labour reform bill after failed union-employer talks
- 12:03 CET After a bear hug, Obama irons out deals with Modi in India
- 11:35 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack major Nigeria northern city
- 11:29 CET Australian police probe Labor Party member over Syria conflict
- 10:54 CET Qatar-based cleric urges protests in Egypt on uprising’s…
- 10:31 CET Greek leftists Syriza aim for landmark election win
- 09:29 CET Japan condemns IS execution, demands remaining hostage release
- 06:50 CET Journalist who broke news of prosecutor’s death flees Argentina