Northern Germany is bracing itself for possibly one of its heaviest storms in the past decade.
Hurricane Xaver is fast approaching bringing with it snow and floods.
Winds of up to 180 kilometres per hour are forecast causing air and road transport chaos.
The storm flood is expected to hit Bremen and Hamburg early on Friday.
The region was hit by storm “Christian” in October, which killed eight people. However Xaver is expected to be more vigorous.
Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s national railway, is advising travelers in the states of Schleswig-Holstein, northern Lower-Saxony, Hamburg and Bremen to cancel their plans if possible.
The company stated that it was preparing for possible disruptions to services or closures in those regions.
At the same time, airports are also warning of possible delays or cancellations of flights because of the inclement weather.
Storms hit Scotland
A truck driver was killed in West Lothian, Edinburgh, when his truck overturned and struck other vehicles as Scotland faces heavy storms and severe gale force winds on Thursday.
Porth Eirias Colwyn Bay pic.twitter.com/A0R23tR6C1— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) 5 Décembre 2013
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Insight – Unable to halt Europe-bound migrants, Tripoli demands…
- 11:06 CET One killed in rebel shelling of east Ukraine town, coke plant…
- 10:43 CET Greece will not make June IMF repayment – interior minister
- 10:24 CET One Ukrainian civilian killed, two wounded in Avdiyivka shelling -…
- 10:04 CET Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side
- 09:21 CET Mass graves of suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia
- 09:07 CET Analysis – The European centre-left’s quandary
- 08:02 CET Rohingya Muslims found on boat rescued by Myanmar navy