05/12/13 07:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Northern Germany is bracing itself for possibly one of its heaviest storms in the past decade.
Hurricane Xaver is fast approaching bringing with it snow and floods.
Winds of up to 180 kilometres per hour are forecast causing air and road transport chaos.
The storm flood is expected to hit Bremen and Hamburg early on Friday.
The region was hit by storm “Christian” in October, which killed eight people. However Xaver is expected to be more vigorous.
Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s national railway, is advising travelers in the states of Schleswig-Holstein, northern Lower-Saxony, Hamburg and Bremen to cancel their plans if possible.
The company stated that it was preparing for possible disruptions to services or closures in those regions.
At the same time, airports are also warning of possible delays or cancellations of flights because of the inclement weather.
Storms hit Scotland
A truck driver was killed in West Lothian, Edinburgh, when his truck overturned and struck other vehicles as Scotland faces heavy storms and severe gale force winds on Thursday.
Porth Eirias Colwyn Bay pic.twitter.com/A0R23tR6C1— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) 5 Décembre 2013
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…
- 01:18 CET Insight – Pakistan’s new military courts challenged over abuse…
- 01:14 CET Japan revamps child welfare, but tens of thousands still…
- 01:11 CET Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- 00:58 CET Turkey mends fences with Israel, Russia in foreign policy reset
- 00:21 CET Iraqi army closes in on Islamic State militants near Falluja
- 00:02 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake shakes southern Mexico, no damage reported