05/12/13 05:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Gun battles between Iraqi security forces and armed attackers have left at least ten dead and more than 40 injured in Kirkuk.
Suicide bombers and gunmen initially launched an assault on police intelligence headquarters in the northern Iraqi city.
A two-hour exchange of fire followed.
The violence then moved to a nearby shopping mall where several gunmen wearing suicide vests stormed the complex, opening fire before security forces could get there.
Shoppers were among the dead and injured.
No group has claimed responsibility but areas around Kirkuk are said to be al Qaeda strongholds.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as revolt threatens Corbyn leadership
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Millions sign referendum re-run petition
Wires > News
- 13:20 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, rocks Labour opposition
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:40 CET Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…