Ukrainian police have been filmed beating protesters who were handcuffed and lying on the ground. The video appears to show officers attacking them with truncheons and kicking them.
Of the nine who were attacked, six are now in intensive care and three others in prison medical units.They have all been detained for two months until their trial and face up to seven years in prison on charges of organising mass protests.
Officials say the demonstrators attacked police, allegedly driving a bulldozer at officers.
The opposition say the known head of a radical nationalist group, Bratstvo Dmytro Korchynskiy, was behind the violence and that there is video evidence of him on the bulldozer along with others from the movement, throwing stones at police and soldiers. They allege the radicals were sent by the ruling Party of Regions to stir up the crowds.
The families of those arrested say the demonstrators did nothing wrong and were protesting peacefully. They stress that the nine have been denied adequate legal help and allege that independent lawyers are being warned off taking their cases.
At a press conference the relatives asked the public to support them in calling for the protesters to be released.
Marina Ostaschenko, the wife of Oleksander Ostaschenko, one of those arrested, said: “My husband and his friend, a student, just came to Independence Square to support the other Ukrainians there.”
Yana Stepanova, the girlfriend of Mykola Lazarovskyi, another man arrested, said: “We were there, at the hospital, and it was like prison conditions, so we haven’t seen my boyfriend.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:02 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession
- 17:56 CET Ghana can continue production in Ivory Coast oil dispute – tribunal
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…