Ukrainian police have been filmed beating protesters who were handcuffed and lying on the ground. The video appears to show officers attacking them with truncheons and kicking them.
Of the nine who were attacked, six are now in intensive care and three others in prison medical units.They have all been detained for two months until their trial and face up to seven years in prison on charges of organising mass protests.
Officials say the demonstrators attacked police, allegedly driving a bulldozer at officers.
The opposition say the known head of a radical nationalist group, Bratstvo Dmytro Korchynskiy, was behind the violence and that there is video evidence of him on the bulldozer along with others from the movement, throwing stones at police and soldiers. They allege the radicals were sent by the ruling Party of Regions to stir up the crowds.
The families of those arrested say the demonstrators did nothing wrong and were protesting peacefully. They stress that the nine have been denied adequate legal help and allege that independent lawyers are being warned off taking their cases.
At a press conference the relatives asked the public to support them in calling for the protesters to be released.
Marina Ostaschenko, the wife of Oleksander Ostaschenko, one of those arrested, said: “My husband and his friend, a student, just came to Independence Square to support the other Ukrainians there.”
Yana Stepanova, the girlfriend of Mykola Lazarovskyi, another man arrested, said: “We were there, at the hospital, and it was like prison conditions, so we haven’t seen my boyfriend.”
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 07:52 CET Gunmen storm Kenyan college campus in Garissa, students trapped
- 06:44 CET At least 54 dead, 15 missing after Russian trawler sinks off…
- 06:16 CET Turkey detains nine Britons crossing into Syria
- 05:58 CET Hong Kong court adjourns British banker murder case for five weeks
- 02:09 CET From brides to battlefield, women taking up new roles with Islamic…
- 01:08 CET Southeast Asia faces increasingly intense climate events – analysts
- 00:32 CET Oil platform fire toll in Gulf of Mexico: 4 dead, 302 evacuated
- 23:47 CET Islamic State seizes vast Damascus refugee camp