Ukrainian police have been filmed beating protesters who were handcuffed and lying on the ground. The video appears to show officers attacking them with truncheons and kicking them.
Of the nine who were attacked, six are now in intensive care and three others in prison medical units.They have all been detained for two months until their trial and face up to seven years in prison on charges of organising mass protests.
Officials say the demonstrators attacked police, allegedly driving a bulldozer at officers.
The opposition say the known head of a radical nationalist group, Bratstvo Dmytro Korchynskiy, was behind the violence and that there is video evidence of him on the bulldozer along with others from the movement, throwing stones at police and soldiers. They allege the radicals were sent by the ruling Party of Regions to stir up the crowds.
The families of those arrested say the demonstrators did nothing wrong and were protesting peacefully. They stress that the nine have been denied adequate legal help and allege that independent lawyers are being warned off taking their cases.
At a press conference the relatives asked the public to support them in calling for the protesters to be released.
Marina Ostaschenko, the wife of Oleksander Ostaschenko, one of those arrested, said: “My husband and his friend, a student, just came to Independence Square to support the other Ukrainians there.”
Yana Stepanova, the girlfriend of Mykola Lazarovskyi, another man arrested, said: “We were there, at the hospital, and it was like prison conditions, so we haven’t seen my boyfriend.”
- 1United Arab Emrates leads way with planned mission to Mars
- 2Afghanistan wedding party ends in massacre
- 3Growing tension over new Turkish military offensive in Syria and Iraq
- 4Kurdish women fighting ISIL on the frontline
- 5Fires: thousands in emergency shelters as huge blazes take hold in France and Spain
- 1Protests erupt in Turkey and Iraq over Ankara’s operations against IS and Kurdish militants
- 2Clashes erupt at al-Aqsa mosque in East Jerusalem
- 3Turkey defends strikes on PKK and ISIL in Iraq and Syria
- 4Anger over ‘slaughter of 250 pilot whales’ in the Faroe Islands
- 5Turkish strikes on PKK in Iraq put peace process at risk
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 7Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 8Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Afghanistan wedding party ends in massacre
Fires: thousands in emergency shelters as huge blazes take hold in France and Spain
Kurdish militia in Syria reportedly captures strategic town from ISIL
Red-hot bargain: ‘Blood for discount’ tickets at Transylvania festival
The Balkans: Another route for migrants seeking a new life in Europe
Wires > News
- 04:57 CET Malaysian media report PM to drop deputy after 1MDB criticism
- 04:24 CET Boy Scouts lift blanket ban on gay adult leaders, employees
- 04:18 CET South Korea declares country effectively out of MERS danger
- 04:05 CET U.S. House Benghazi panel says State Department to hand over…
- 00:45 CET Libyan city Benghazi plunges into darkness as fighting hits power…
- 23:44 CET Turkey, U.S. aim for zone cleared of Islamic State in northern…
- 23:38 CET U.S. softens view of Malaysia, Cuba in human trafficking report
- 22:04 CET Saudi Arabia accuses Iran of making threats to neighbours