Ukraine’s government survived a no-confidence motion as tens of thousands of protesters surrounded the parliament building in central Kyiv, calling for the administration of President Victor Yanukovich to resign.
Ukrainian opposition parties brought the motion before parliament after the government, led by the Party of Regions, pulled out of a deal establishing closer ties with the European Union.
Prime Minister Mykola Azarov stressed that the decision to suspend negotiations on with the EU was made for the good of the Ukrainian economy.
“We had a strong recession, it was a very important factor that economists understand. We faced it as we could, in very poor conditions, with very high gas prices. Secondly, we’ve lost out a lot in trade, especially with Russia,” Azarov told parliament, amid loud chants of “resign” from opposition MPs.
The Communist Party of Ukraine, which has been in coalition with the Party of Regions, did not support the no confidence vote put forward by the opposition parties because the motion was linked to closer integration with Europe, which the Communists oppose.
The Communist Party has announced plans to put forward its own no confidence motion, based on the government’s management of the economy. If the opposition parties back that – which they have said they will – there would be enough votes to force out the government.
Video: CHESNO Civil Movement
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
Wires > News
- 14:20 CET Kazakhstan says foils attack plot by ‘radical group’
- 13:38 CET Pakistan deports 500 Afghan refugees before registration deadline…
- 13:36 CET Cambodian opposition leader promises return from exile
- 13:24 CET China’s Xi urges caution over U.S. missile deployment in South…
- 12:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan and Russia’s Putin agree to revive mutual…
- 12:17 CET Italy raises wreck of migrant boat that sank, killing hundreds, in…
- 12:16 CET Iraqi forces say press towards key air base south of Mosul
- 12:11 CET Istanbul airport attack killed 23 Turkish citizens, 13 foreign…