Ukraine’s government survived a no-confidence motion as tens of thousands of protesters surrounded the parliament building in central Kyiv, calling for the administration of President Victor Yanukovich to resign.
Ukrainian opposition parties brought the motion before parliament after the government, led by the Party of Regions, pulled out of a deal establishing closer ties with the European Union.
Prime Minister Mykola Azarov stressed that the decision to suspend negotiations on with the EU was made for the good of the Ukrainian economy.
“We had a strong recession, it was a very important factor that economists understand. We faced it as we could, in very poor conditions, with very high gas prices. Secondly, we’ve lost out a lot in trade, especially with Russia,” Azarov told parliament, amid loud chants of “resign” from opposition MPs.
The Communist Party of Ukraine, which has been in coalition with the Party of Regions, did not support the no confidence vote put forward by the opposition parties because the motion was linked to closer integration with Europe, which the Communists oppose.
The Communist Party has announced plans to put forward its own no confidence motion, based on the government’s management of the economy. If the opposition parties back that – which they have said they will – there would be enough votes to force out the government.
Video: CHESNO Civil Movement
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
A bloody day in Yemen
Iceland: thousands sign petition urging government to accept more refugees
Baltimore: judge rejects bid to drop charges against police officers over Freddie Gray death
US president tours Resurrection Bay to highlight Alaska climate change
Exhausted animals rescued from flooded zoo in Ussuriysk, Russia
Wires > News
- 22:39 CET Separate trials ordered for Baltimore police officers charged in…
- 22:34 CET Israel parliament approves 2015-16 budget draft in first vote
- 21:43 CET Eighteen Turkish workers kidnapped in Baghdad, firm says
- 20:33 CET Row over Libyan sovereign fund LIA reaches UK court
- 20:16 CET Migrants shut Eurostar trains to UK; dead wash up on Turkish beach
- 20:14 CET Islamic State claims bomb attack on Yemeni mosque, 28 reported dead
- 20:08 CET U.S. Army to open elite Ranger School to all genders
- 19:32 CET Malaysia’s anti-corruption efforts undermined by questions about…