02/12/13 11:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Around a thousand protesters blocked off the Ukrainian government’s main headquarters in Kyiv on Monday.
The opposition has called for more protests and a national strike to force the resignation of President Yanukovych after he refused to sign a trade pact with the EU.
Hundreds of activists spent the night in Independence Square and say they are preparing for round-the-clock demonstrations.
Others barricaded themselves inside the City Hall where they have set up their headquarters. Staff were still being allowed to come in and do their usual jobs.
On Sunday hundreds of thousands took part in a march, defying a ban on rallies. Many have joined the protests in anger at the violent treatment of protesters by riot police. Euronews cameraman Roman Kupriyanov received head injuries when he was beaten by riot police (see video below)
Read what YOU have been telling us about the Ukraine protests here
Dozens of journalists are reported to have been injured since peaceful protests degenerated into scuffles at the end of last week.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…