The EU’s new border control system opened for business on Monday.
Officials argue that the 144-billion-euro network of helicopters, drones and satellites will reduce cross-border crime and help provide assistance to would-be migrant boats in distress.
But human rights groups counter that it will make Europe a ‘fortress’ and that refugees have more chance of being detected and deported.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 17Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 18HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news