The head of the European Commission has agreed to meet with a delegation from Ukraine to discuss closer ties with the EU.
But Jose Manuel Barroso said there would be no re-opening of negotiations on the proposed association agreement or a planned free trade deal.
“Ukrainian authorities should respect of course democratic freedoms and the right of people to demonstrate and at the same time we made an appeal to demonstrators to show restraint and of course this comes as a result of the fact that many many Ukrainians see their future in Europe and they are disappointed from the results of the Vilnius Summit,” Barroso told reporters in Brussels.
Steven Blockmans, a foreign policy analyst at the Centre for European Policy Studies, said the Kiev demonstrations were not only pro-EU, but also a cry for help from opponents of the Yanukovych government.
“I think that the protesters are fighting for both, for the European path of their country which does not necessarily mean or translate automatically into future accession to the European union,” he said.
“I think that this modernisation drive is what really spears the protests as indeed an objection to the current state of politics as it is being conducted by the current leadership in Ukraine.”
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
Read what YOU have been telling us about the Ukrainian protests here
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis