The head of the European Commission has agreed to meet with a delegation from Ukraine to discuss closer ties with the EU.
But Jose Manuel Barroso said there would be no re-opening of negotiations on the proposed association agreement or a planned free trade deal.
“Ukrainian authorities should respect of course democratic freedoms and the right of people to demonstrate and at the same time we made an appeal to demonstrators to show restraint and of course this comes as a result of the fact that many many Ukrainians see their future in Europe and they are disappointed from the results of the Vilnius Summit,” Barroso told reporters in Brussels.
Steven Blockmans, a foreign policy analyst at the Centre for European Policy Studies, said the Kiev demonstrations were not only pro-EU, but also a cry for help from opponents of the Yanukovych government.
“I think that the protesters are fighting for both, for the European path of their country which does not necessarily mean or translate automatically into future accession to the European union,” he said.
“I think that this modernisation drive is what really spears the protests as indeed an objection to the current state of politics as it is being conducted by the current leadership in Ukraine.”
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
Read what YOU have been telling us about the Ukrainian protests here
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video