A miracle did not happen.
European Union leaders and Ukraine have, as expected, failed to sign an historic free-trade deal after a last-minute U-turn from Kiev.
Ukraine’s President Viktor Yanukovich still attended the Eastern Partnership Summit in Vilnius.
But under economic pressure from Moscow, he has revived trade talks with Russia and nothing the EU said could make him change his mind.
“We want to have a strong relationship with Ukraine, we believe particularly on economic issues,” said EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
“It is, of course, for Ukraine to decide what it wishes to do and there have been some good and important discussions with President Yanukovich here. What I would say is that the European Union door is open.”
Georgia and Moldova have signed initial political association agreements but the focus had been on Ukraine’s association deal. Its decision not to sign was strongly criticised by the leader of summit host Lithuania, which holds the EU presidency.
“I think that the Ukrainian people are disappointed,” said Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite. “It is not about Europe to be disappointed. I think today’s Ukrainian leadership is choosing the way which is going nowhere.”
As night fell and any chance of a deal evaporated, Ukrainian protesters outside the venue desperately called for a change of heart.
A few dozen held placards saying “Yanukovich, don’t steal the future” and “We are Europeans.”“Yanukovich sign” they cried.
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 5Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Belgium lowers state of alert in Brussels from maximum level
Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Nuclear energy off the table at climate change talks
Britain’s parliament debates Cameron’s call to air war in Syria
Wires > News
- 17:26 CET Stranded migrants try to storm into Macedonia, tear down fence
- 16:22 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 16:04 CET Belgian police mount search linked to Paris attacks
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque
- 15:45 CET ‘Putin is not forever’, says daughter of slain opposition leader
- 15:43 CET Paris airport traffic down after attacks, security tighter