A miracle did not happen.
European Union leaders and Ukraine have, as expected, failed to sign an historic free-trade deal after a last-minute U-turn from Kiev.
Ukraine’s President Viktor Yanukovich still attended the Eastern Partnership Summit in Vilnius.
But under economic pressure from Moscow, he has revived trade talks with Russia and nothing the EU said could make him change his mind.
“We want to have a strong relationship with Ukraine, we believe particularly on economic issues,” said EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
“It is, of course, for Ukraine to decide what it wishes to do and there have been some good and important discussions with President Yanukovich here. What I would say is that the European Union door is open.”
Georgia and Moldova have signed initial political association agreements but the focus had been on Ukraine’s association deal. Its decision not to sign was strongly criticised by the leader of summit host Lithuania, which holds the EU presidency.
“I think that the Ukrainian people are disappointed,” said Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite. “It is not about Europe to be disappointed. I think today’s Ukrainian leadership is choosing the way which is going nowhere.”
As night fell and any chance of a deal evaporated, Ukrainian protesters outside the venue desperately called for a change of heart.
A few dozen held placards saying “Yanukovich, don’t steal the future” and “We are Europeans.”“Yanukovich sign” they cried.
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Israeli forces kill knife-wielding Palestinian youth – police
- 16:16 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 15:51 CET Moscow to investigate amid struggle over Chechen authority
- 15:40 CET Tribunal tells Ghana to stop oil work in Ivory Coast dispute
- 15:24 CET Insurgents seize Syrian strategic town of Jisr al-Shughour, army…
- 15:23 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary
- 15:17 CET Three Islamic State car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing…
- 15:04 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…