Warming up before a marathon is highly recommended, warming up before the Antarctic Ice Marathon is crucial.
The usual marathon attire of shorts and tee-shirts were replaced with a full balaclava, goggles, gloves, long johns, waterproof running pants and several layers of thermal clothing.
Snow, ice and temperatures plummeting to -30°C greeted over fifty athletes from 18 countries as they braved the ninth edition of the race.
For safety reasons the competitors ran two laps around the Union Glacier exploration camp where rehydration stops were plentiful.
Pro Iron man runner Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic won the men’s race
After completing the 26 mile course in a time three hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds he said: “Excellent, you can’t feel bad finishing this marathon. It’s fantastic experience I have done 160 marathons in my life but nothing so beautiful, amazing.”
Britain’s Fiona Oakes claimed the women’s title to add to her 2013 North Pole race win earlier in the year.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 02:37 CET Bowditch charges two ahead at Byron Nelson
- 01:35 CET Blatter defies calls to quit as FIFA scandal widens
- 00:58 CET Ronchi set for NZ test debut amid Watling injury concern
- 23:34 CET FIA seeks new Formula One team from 2016
- 23:25 CET Uruguay union looks to get Suarez’s FIFA ban annulled
- 23:14 CET Misfiring McIlroy faces missing cut for second week running
- 20:32 CET Fowler upstages struggling McIlroy at Irish Open
- 18:57 CET Hull forward Hernandez banned for punching United’s Jones