Warming up before a marathon is highly recommended, warming up before the Antarctic Ice Marathon is crucial.
The usual marathon attire of shorts and tee-shirts were replaced with a full balaclava, goggles, gloves, long johns, waterproof running pants and several layers of thermal clothing.
Snow, ice and temperatures plummeting to -30°C greeted over fifty athletes from 18 countries as they braved the ninth edition of the race.
For safety reasons the competitors ran two laps around the Union Glacier exploration camp where rehydration stops were plentiful.
Pro Iron man runner Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic won the men’s race
After completing the 26 mile course in a time three hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds he said: “Excellent, you can’t feel bad finishing this marathon. It’s fantastic experience I have done 160 marathons in my life but nothing so beautiful, amazing.”
Britain’s Fiona Oakes claimed the women’s title to add to her 2013 North Pole race win earlier in the year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:15 CET Simeone wants more of the same from ‘fabulous’ Griezmann
- 09:13 CET Malinga to return from injury during New Zealand ODIs
- 09:10 CET Boxing Day test of India’s resolve in Melbourne
- 06:06 CET No retirement in sight for evergreen Socceroo Cahill
- 04:32 CET Crash rules Gerrans out of Tour Down Under title defence
- 03:30 CET South Korea light on strikers for Asian Cup
- 03:25 CET European roundup – City and Barca turn heat up on leaders
- 23:27 CET Rangers manager McCoist leaves club