Warming up before a marathon is highly recommended, warming up before the Antarctic Ice Marathon is crucial.
The usual marathon attire of shorts and tee-shirts were replaced with a full balaclava, goggles, gloves, long johns, waterproof running pants and several layers of thermal clothing.
Snow, ice and temperatures plummeting to -30°C greeted over fifty athletes from 18 countries as they braved the ninth edition of the race.
For safety reasons the competitors ran two laps around the Union Glacier exploration camp where rehydration stops were plentiful.
Pro Iron man runner Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic won the men’s race
After completing the 26 mile course in a time three hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds he said: “Excellent, you can’t feel bad finishing this marathon. It’s fantastic experience I have done 160 marathons in my life but nothing so beautiful, amazing.”
Britain’s Fiona Oakes claimed the women’s title to add to her 2013 North Pole race win earlier in the year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 06:01 CET Lost opportunity for Hurricanes but some positive signs
- 04:23 CET One to 39, Highlanders success built on strong squad culture
- 03:39 CET Powell wins in Paris with his fastest 100 in four years
- 02:56 CET Cheeky Sanchez penalty clinches Chile’s first Copa
- 02:07 CET Japan finds new motivation for World Cup final
- 02:03 CET Williams penalty gives England third place
- 23:20 CET Clarke hails Harris as one of the best
- 21:59 CET Lauda swapped trophies for free car washes