Warming up before a marathon is highly recommended, warming up before the Antarctic Ice Marathon is crucial.
The usual marathon attire of shorts and tee-shirts were replaced with a full balaclava, goggles, gloves, long johns, waterproof running pants and several layers of thermal clothing.
Snow, ice and temperatures plummeting to -30°C greeted over fifty athletes from 18 countries as they braved the ninth edition of the race.
For safety reasons the competitors ran two laps around the Union Glacier exploration camp where rehydration stops were plentiful.
Pro Iron man runner Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic won the men’s race
After completing the 26 mile course in a time three hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds he said: “Excellent, you can’t feel bad finishing this marathon. It’s fantastic experience I have done 160 marathons in my life but nothing so beautiful, amazing.”
Britain’s Fiona Oakes claimed the women’s title to add to her 2013 North Pole race win earlier in the year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 01:10 CET Love to have toe surgery, misses Clarke catch-up
- 00:54 CET Coentrao strike seals Portugal win over Serbia
- 00:14 CET Greece stay bottom after goalless draw on Markarian debut
- 23:15 CET Late Long strike denies Poland victory in Ireland
- 23:05 CET Scotland smash Gibraltar, but a new ‘Rock star’ emerges
- 22:33 CET Red-hot Lafferty keeps Northern Ireland on course for finals
- 21:15 CET ‘Lucky escape’ for National great Champion
- 20:42 CET Reus, Mueller on target as Germany ease past Georgia