Warming up before a marathon is highly recommended, warming up before the Antarctic Ice Marathon is crucial.
The usual marathon attire of shorts and tee-shirts were replaced with a full balaclava, goggles, gloves, long johns, waterproof running pants and several layers of thermal clothing.
Snow, ice and temperatures plummeting to -30°C greeted over fifty athletes from 18 countries as they braved the ninth edition of the race.
For safety reasons the competitors ran two laps around the Union Glacier exploration camp where rehydration stops were plentiful.
Pro Iron man runner Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic won the men’s race
After completing the 26 mile course in a time three hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds he said: “Excellent, you can’t feel bad finishing this marathon. It’s fantastic experience I have done 160 marathons in my life but nothing so beautiful, amazing.”
Britain’s Fiona Oakes claimed the women’s title to add to her 2013 North Pole race win earlier in the year.
- 1Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
- 2England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 3Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 4Thick haze in Singapore disrupts World Cup finals
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: South Africa down Scotland to move top
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2Champions League day two match preview
- 3Sagan makes history and gives Slovakia its first cycling World Champion
- 4Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales defeat hosts England 28-25 in thrilling clash
- 5Roma and Arsenal crash, Barcelona come back in latest Champions League clashes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 15Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
Wires > Sport
- 15:27 CET Berdych and Garcia-Lopez to meet in Shenzhen Open final
- 15:11 CET Mourinho the best man for Chelsea, says Terry
- 14:45 CET Advocaat steps down as Sunderland manager
- 14:39 CET Maradona in crowd as Argentina make late change for Tonga
- 14:36 CET Latvala claims third win of the season in Corsica
- 14:28 CET Romania ring changes for Canada game
- 14:24 CET No knee-jerk response to England demise, says RFU’s Ritchie
- 13:28 CET New boss Manohar vows to clean India’s image in second innings