Ten thousand people, many of them students, gathered in Kyiv to protest against the government’s decision last week to suspend progress towards a trade deal with the European Union (EU) in favour of closer economic ties with Russia.
Ukraine often finds itself in the middle of a Russian-EU tug-of-war.
The trade deal due to be signed in Vilnius would have marked a definite turn to the West.
One demonstrator told euronews: “My heart belongs to Europe, we’re fed up with Russia! We’ve lived under Russian pressure for 300 years, I want to live in Europe,” he said.
A Kyiv student said: “Administrations of other Kyiv universities do not allow students to take part in street rallies, therefore we want them to join us, because we’re strong! The more protesters we have the bigger attention we draw.”
Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich said the EU should stop meddling in the fate of his rival, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. He said her imprisonment should not hinder Kyiv’s integration with Europe.
Tymoshenko, who was jailed on abuse of power charges, is on hunger strike over Kyiv’s decision to renew economic ties with Russia.
Pouring scorn on the woman who helped engineer the 2004-05 Orange Revolution that thwarted his first bid at the presidency, Yanukovich said she was part of a ring of criminals and that her fate should lie in the hands of Ukrainian judges.
“The issue of Yulia Tymoshenko should not be a hindrance to Ukraine’s European integration,” Yanukovich said in a television interview broadcast on Wednesday, but filmed late on Tuesday.
“The (Ukrainian) courts, which she has been evading and thereby obstructing justice, should give the answer. What does the European Union have to do with this? Is the European Union a court?” he asked.
Yanukovich has promised to attend the summit, despite his sudden decision to walk away from a landmark deal with the EU.
His comments are sure to cause tension with EU leaders in Vilnius – most likely at a dinner on Thursday.
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Would-be Moldova election kingmaker flees country ahead of Sunday…
- 15:58 CET Two dead in Egypt violence and Islamist protests
- 15:51 CET China probes ‘five networks’ of disgraced ex-security chief -…
- 15:31 CET Pope urges solidarity to stop aggressors in Syria and Iraq
- 15:29 CET France’s Hollande brings message of hope to Ebola-stricken Guinea
- 15:25 CET South African mother turns tragedy into fight against HIV -…
- 15:09 CET Croatia PM cancels Belgrade trip over freeing of war crimes suspect
- 15:04 CET Eyeing deadline, France to back Palestinian state if peace talks…