Ten thousand people, many of them students, gathered in Kyiv to protest against the government’s decision last week to suspend progress towards a trade deal with the European Union (EU) in favour of closer economic ties with Russia.
Ukraine often finds itself in the middle of a Russian-EU tug-of-war.
The trade deal due to be signed in Vilnius would have marked a definite turn to the West.
One demonstrator told euronews: “My heart belongs to Europe, we’re fed up with Russia! We’ve lived under Russian pressure for 300 years, I want to live in Europe,” he said.
A Kyiv student said: “Administrations of other Kyiv universities do not allow students to take part in street rallies, therefore we want them to join us, because we’re strong! The more protesters we have the bigger attention we draw.”
Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich said the EU should stop meddling in the fate of his rival, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. He said her imprisonment should not hinder Kyiv’s integration with Europe.
Tymoshenko, who was jailed on abuse of power charges, is on hunger strike over Kyiv’s decision to renew economic ties with Russia.
Pouring scorn on the woman who helped engineer the 2004-05 Orange Revolution that thwarted his first bid at the presidency, Yanukovich said she was part of a ring of criminals and that her fate should lie in the hands of Ukrainian judges.
“The issue of Yulia Tymoshenko should not be a hindrance to Ukraine’s European integration,” Yanukovich said in a television interview broadcast on Wednesday, but filmed late on Tuesday.
“The (Ukrainian) courts, which she has been evading and thereby obstructing justice, should give the answer. What does the European Union have to do with this? Is the European Union a court?” he asked.
Yanukovich has promised to attend the summit, despite his sudden decision to walk away from a landmark deal with the EU.
His comments are sure to cause tension with EU leaders in Vilnius – most likely at a dinner on Thursday.
Are you in Ukraine? Send us your thoughts, pictures and videos to witness[at]euronews.com
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 3Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
French ferry workers burn tyres to block Calais port
Suspected Malaysia Airlines debris en route to France for inspection
Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
UK-France migrant crisis: Cameron pledges sniffer dogs and fencing
Wires > News
- 19:22 CET ‘Temporary’ not guilty plea entered for Charleston suspect
- 19:18 CET Early poll prospects grow as Turkish air strikes muddy coalition…
- 19:17 CET Reports of Haqqani network founder’s death, but family denies
- 19:14 CET Germany suspends treason probe against news website
- 18:51 CET Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish PKK militant targets in northern…
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 18:48 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S-trained rebels
- 18:45 CET In a Yemen hospital, malnutrition menaces young lives