Yulia Tymoshenko, the jailed former prime minister of Ukraine, has begun a hunger strike in protest at President Yanukovych’s reluctance to sign a landmark trade agreement with the EU.
Tymoshenko is serving a seven year term which the West considers politically motivated. Her release for urgent back surgery in Germany was one of the conditions set by Brussels as part of the trade deal.
However last week, Tymoshenko said in an open letter that she was ready to ask the EU to drop the demand for her freedom if it meant Yanukovych would sign the deal.
On Monday, Ukrainian opposition leaders were denied access to Tymoshenko in hospital, where she is kept under guard and told that the area was quarantined.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 4Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 5Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Talks on Ukraine take place despite escalation in fighting
Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
Wires > News
- 06:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…
- 03:52 CET Obama administration faces criticism over human trafficking report
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York