The French government has called on farmers to lift road blockades “immediately” after two accidents which killed a fireman and left six police officers injured.
The 28-year-old firefighter died in the Val d’Oise after being “struck by a heavy goods vehicle” and six riot squad officers were hurt in a collision with a lorry “as part of the barricades put in place by cereal farmers,” Transport Minister Frédéric Cuvillier told French television.
One farming union, the FDSEA in Ile-de-France, said the man’s death had “nothing to do with” its action as the accident happened a kilometre away from the barricade.
The Val d’Oise prefecture said the fireman’s vehicle had struck the back of a lorry which had been halted by the blockades.
Farmers protesting the redistribution of funds under reforms to the European Agricultural Policy (CAP) have been disrupting traffic around the French capital.
“We’re mounting blockades here and there, there are already about ten around Paris. What we want to do is get an appointment with the Agriculture Minister Mr (Stéphane) Le Foll and if we don’t succeed, we will increase (the protests) until December 10th, the date when the reforms are due to be signed,” said Olivier Gousseau, spokesman for farmers in the Yvelines.
The changes to the CAP, approved by the European Parliament on Wednesday, will see more EU funds go towards livestock at the expense of cereal farms, which are common in the countryside around Paris.
The government admits the latter stand to lose 25 percent of the funds they receive under the CAP, but says it has to think of French agriculture as a whole.
“It’s a major political choice: fewer subsidies for cereal farmers indicates increased support for livestock farmers who have been suffering serious difficulties for a long time,” Agriculture Minister Stéphane Le Foll told Le Figaro. “I accept the balancing which has been done in favour of these producers.”
The newspaper says figures from the National Agriculture Accounts Commission (CCAN) show that the average income of farms in the Ile-de-France region around Paris was 97,800 euros last year, five times more than the amount earned by those in the Limousin in southwest France.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 05:37 CET Extra trespass charges for Germans who face caning for Singapore…
- 03:24 CET North Korea’s ‘princess’ moves closer to centre of power
- 23:37 CET Ivory Coast seizes two Chinese trawlers in fishing dispute
- 23:10 CET Argentina charges HSBC with aiding tax evasion via Swiss accounts
- 23:04 CET Pope to urge tolerance in Turkey visit as Middle East wars rage
- 23:01 CET EU’s Juncker survives no-confidence vote over tax deals
- 22:17 CET France warns African leaders against trying to keep power
- 22:04 CET Taliban kill five in Kabul in attacks on British embassy car…