The French government has called on farmers to lift road blockades “immediately” after two accidents which killed a fireman and left six police officers injured.
The 28-year-old firefighter died in the Val d’Oise after being “struck by a heavy goods vehicle” and six riot squad officers were hurt in a collision with a lorry “as part of the barricades put in place by cereal farmers,” Transport Minister Frédéric Cuvillier told French television.
One farming union, the FDSEA in Ile-de-France, said the man’s death had “nothing to do with” its action as the accident happened a kilometre away from the barricade.
The Val d’Oise prefecture said the fireman’s vehicle had struck the back of a lorry which had been halted by the blockades.
Farmers protesting the redistribution of funds under reforms to the European Agricultural Policy (CAP) have been disrupting traffic around the French capital.
“We’re mounting blockades here and there, there are already about ten around Paris. What we want to do is get an appointment with the Agriculture Minister Mr (Stéphane) Le Foll and if we don’t succeed, we will increase (the protests) until December 10th, the date when the reforms are due to be signed,” said Olivier Gousseau, spokesman for farmers in the Yvelines.
The changes to the CAP, approved by the European Parliament on Wednesday, will see more EU funds go towards livestock at the expense of cereal farms, which are common in the countryside around Paris.
The government admits the latter stand to lose 25 percent of the funds they receive under the CAP, but says it has to think of French agriculture as a whole.
“It’s a major political choice: fewer subsidies for cereal farmers indicates increased support for livestock farmers who have been suffering serious difficulties for a long time,” Agriculture Minister Stéphane Le Foll told Le Figaro. “I accept the balancing which has been done in favour of these producers.”
The newspaper says figures from the National Agriculture Accounts Commission (CCAN) show that the average income of farms in the Ile-de-France region around Paris was 97,800 euros last year, five times more than the amount earned by those in the Limousin in southwest France.
- 1We will not be moved! Resistance to China’s urban spread [PHOTOS]
- 2British probe into child sex abuse reveals 1400 suspects
- 3Netanyahu supports call for a two-state solution with Palestinians
- 4ISIL controls more than half of Syria after seizing Palmyra
- 5EU refusal to accept migrant quotas ‘unacceptable’
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 16How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 17EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:51 CET Myanmar says finds 200 Bangladeshis, not Rohingya, in boat offshore
- 10:49 CET Saudi-led coalition steps up air strikes on Houthis in Yemen’s…
- 10:40 CET South Korea says North drops demand for wage hike at joint factory…
- 09:49 CET Shelling kills one worker at east Ukraine coke plant – Metinvest
- 09:38 CET Turkish police launch raids targeting Erdogan foes – media
- 09:17 CET Saudi citizen killed in rocket attack launched from Yemen – SPA
- 08:54 CET FBI arrests two suspected IS recruits in California – NBC News
- 08:49 CET Al Shabaab attacks village in Kenya’s Garissa