Three days before the 50th anniversary of her father’s assassination, President Kennedy’s daughter Caroline has been greeted by cheering crowds in Tokyo as the newly appointed American ambassador to Japan.
She travelled to the imperial palace in a horse-drawn carriage – as new ambassadors in the country are entitled to do – but few will have experienced the kind of reception she did, with thousands lining the streets.
The fact that Kennedy is the only living child of the late president – and her ties to Barack Obama – have heightened interest in her appointment.
The 55-year-old briefly met Emperor Akihito to hand over a letter from the US president with her credentials.
She is the first woman to be named US ambassador to Japan.
Caroline Kennedy’s appointment has been welcomed – she knows the country well, having first visited in 1978, and spent her honeymoon there.
Some though question her lack of diplomatic experience, given the high state of tension between Japan and China.
The Obama administration is seeking to bolster its alliance with Tokyo as
the countries respond to Beijing’s strength in the region.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…
- 06:50 CET Insight – Modi’s popularity in rural India punctured by…
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report