19/11/13 16:26 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three days before the 50th anniversary of her father’s assassination, President Kennedy’s daughter Caroline has been greeted by cheering crowds in Tokyo as the newly appointed American ambassador to Japan.
She travelled to the imperial palace in a horse-drawn carriage – as new ambassadors in the country are entitled to do – but few will have experienced the kind of reception she did, with thousands lining the streets.
The fact that Kennedy is the only living child of the late president – and her ties to Barack Obama – have heightened interest in her appointment.
The 55-year-old briefly met Emperor Akihito to hand over a letter from the US president with her credentials.
She is the first woman to be named US ambassador to Japan.
Caroline Kennedy’s appointment has been welcomed – she knows the country well, having first visited in 1978, and spent her honeymoon there.
Some though question her lack of diplomatic experience, given the high state of tension between Japan and China.
The Obama administration is seeking to bolster its alliance with Tokyo as
the countries respond to Beijing’s strength in the region.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader