The retrial of ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, his sons and closest associates reopened on Saturday.
Mubarak’s lawyer claims his period of house arrest should have ended with the lifting of the state of emergency in Egypt last week, so he could be free within days. Egypt’s interim authorities dispute this.
Political expert Khaled Hussein explained:
“I think that the trial is moving towards the acquittal of Mubarak or at least allowing him to leave his house arrest, but the Egyptian people should know how long this trial will last, and know that the end of the trial will be an end of an era of injustice, corruption and nepotism,” he said.
The 85-year-old ex-president was sentenced to life in prison last year over complicity of inciting violence and murdering demonstrators during the uprising against him in 2011, but an appeal court ordered a retrial earlier this year and he’s been under house arrest since August.
Euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim summarised:
“A new chapter for Mubarak’s trial and his biggest associates has started. What sets it apart is the possible end of the former president’s house arrest with the lifting of the state of emergency.”
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Wires > News
- 09:55 CET India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to…
- 09:18 CET Japan minister’s nuclear comments spark new row over security bills
- 09:16 CET Italian foreign minister invites Iran’s Rouhani to Rome – IRNA
- 09:08 CET Pakistan’s secret military courts given Supreme Court blessing
- 09:05 CET Turkish reporters face jail for publishing photo – prosecutors
- 09:04 CET Nepal villagers recover remains of 17 missing people
- 08:58 CET Kerry raises South China Sea concerns with China’s Wang
- 08:50 CET Obama warns of dangers to Israel if Iran deal blocked – …