15/11/13 02:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
About 5000 Albanians have been protesting in the country’s capital Tirana against plans for the country to be used as a base for dismantling Syrian chemical weapons.
They carried banners and placards reading “No to sarin, Yes to oxygen, let us breathe” and “No to chemical weapons in Albania.”
The US has asked the Albanian government to take on the job of destroying Assad’s stockpile of nerve gas with promises of financial reward in return.
In Tirana, officials said no decision had been taken although the prime minister has indicated he is in favour.
Albanian parliament speaker, Ilir Meta, told protestors: “This is your parliament, this is your government. No decision has been taken and will not be taken before listening to your voice and all the Albanian citizens.”
Albania has previously dismantled its communist-era stockpiles of chemical weapons. However the destruction of weapons shells in 2008 killed 28 people.
Albanians angry at the prospect of hosting sarin gas and other chemical weapons in their country, accuse the US of exploiting its poorer ally.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Wires > News
- 10:40 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 10:39 CET Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots, in line with EU deal -…
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness