Thursday’s visit by Russian officials to Egypt has triggered talk of a new era of defence cooperation between Moscow and Cairo.
To shed more light on the visit, our correspondent in the Egyptian capital, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, talked to political analyst Samir Ghattas.
Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, euronews: “What is the significance of this visit to Egypt, involving both military and diplomatic officials from Moscow, at this particular time?”
Samir Ghattas: “The policies of the United States have caused serious unease and confusion in the Middle East and in Egypt in particular, especially after the overthrow of the Muslim Brotherhood regime. That led to new policies from the US towards Egypt like pressure on the army and reducing economic and military aid after a while.
“As a result, Egypt has sought out new relations or to be more precise, revived its old relations with different regions of the world, especially with the Russian Federation and maybe later with China, India and other rising powers.
“I suspect that there is also a need to develop economic relations between the two countries, given that Russia is a big exporter of wheat, which Egypt desperately needs.”
euronews: “Why is this new situation, after years of frosty relations between Russia and Egypt, not being considered as Moscow taking Washington’s place?”
Samir Ghattas: “I don’t think it could go as far as sharing functional, divisional roles because Moscow and Washington have totally different interests in the Middle East. The United States won’t allow Russia to establish itself again in this region. But if Russia, which already has a strong presence in Syria and close relations with Iran, nurtures its ability to invest in relations with Egypt, well perhaps that could lead to a new era between Moscow and the Middle East.”
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…