Doctors at the University of Debrecen Medical Centre in eastern Hungary have announced that they delivered a healthy baby this summer, three months after the mother suffered brain death due to a stroke.
The family of the woman, 31, decided with doctors to keep her alive to try to ensure that her baby could be delivered safely.
Csilla Molnár, Head of the Neurosurgery Intensive Care Unit at the University of Debrecen, told euronews: “The relatives came three times a week from the countryside. They talked to the baby and caressed the belly of the mother.”
The baby, who was born premature but healthy, has now been taken home.
After the child was delivered, several of the mother’s organs – her heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas – were donated to people in need of transplants.
Béla Fülesdi, Head of the Medical Centre at the University of Debrecen, said that the donations were ground-breaking: “According to medical documents, this has never happened before – that a person could be a donor after such a long period on life support.”
From the University of Debrecen, euronews’ Andrea Hajagos reported: “Eleven different medical teams worked together here – so that this sad story could end with five lives being brought out of one.”
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Latest world news
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Wires > News
- 15:37 CET Croatia receives first group of migrants under EU quota
- 15:25 CET Ceremonies in UK, France mark Battle of the Somme centenary
- 15:07 CET Austrian election re-run likely to be in September or October -…
- 15:05 CET Turkey police detain 11 more over airport attack, focus on alleged…
- 14:51 CET Pakistan warns of ‘blowback’ from moving too fast against militants
- 14:36 CET Junta-ruled Thailand says it will buy three Chinese submarines
- 14:13 CET Al Qaeda leader warns of ‘gravest consequences’ if Boston marathon…
- 14:04 CET Delays in Britain forming a government would hurt them and us -…