13/11/13 16:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The front page of the French weekly magazine Minute has led to a legal probe into alleged racism. It says, “Clever as a monkey, Taubira gets her banana back.” Banana is French slang for smile.
Christine Taubira is the French Justice Minister. The court’s preliminary investigation will be on a possible charge of racist insult which is punishable by up to six months in jail and fines of up to 25,000 euros.
“We must understand that those who are targeted by racist, anti-Semitic or xenophobic comments are not just targeted as persons. Evidently I feel for those who are, for those who appear to be. And in this regard we must remind ourselves that it is not about giving an opinion, it is an offense which must be punished,” said Christiane Taubira
Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault urged a full in inquiry into whether the magazine cover broke laws against hate speech. The government blamed the far right.
“The front page from this newspaper of the far right which is unfortunately well known is revolting. It is also intolerable,” said the French Interior Minister Manuel Vals.
Such attacks have not been limited to France. Cecile Kyenge, who was appointed to the Italian government earlier this year and was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, has been the target of racial slurs since becoming integration minister.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
No clear winner likely in Spanish election
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…