What can Europe learn from the so-called US shale gas revolution?
That was the topic of debate at a Comment Visions forum in Brussels, which was organised by Royal Dutch Shell and Euronews.
EU policy-makers wonder if fracking – pumping water and chemicals into shale rock at pressure – could also drive down prices on this side of the Atlantic.
French researcher Raymond Michels explained many people oppose the use of fossil fuels due to fears about CO2 levels.
“Then there are some who oppose shale gas exploration because the are concerned about the risk to drinking water or the general industrial risk around this kind of activity,” said Michels, who is with France’s National Centre for Scientific Research.
Opponents say dangerous chemicals can seep into the ground during the fracking process.
They also argue it diverts investor attention away from alternative sources.
But Czech MEP Jan Brezina said you cannot rely too much on renewables.
“If you take in account renewables, it’s necessary to have some energy resources to support it and it’s in any case better [to use] shale gas than for instance coal,” he said
It is up to EU member states to decide.
Currently only Britain and Poland plan to explore their own shale gas reserves.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video