John Kerry’s participation in talks on Iran’s nuclear programme is fuelling speculation of a breakthrough.
The US Secretary of State was warmly welcomed in Israel ahead of the Geneva talks, but the mooted details of an imminent deal were not.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave a scathing assessment of the reported agreement: “Iran got the deal of the century and the international community got a bad deal. This is a very bad deal and Israel utterly rejects it and what I am saying is shared by many, many in the region, whether or not they express that publicly.”
PM prior to meeting w/Kerry: Kerry said no deal is better than a bad deal. This is a bad deal. I urge him not to rush to sign the bad deal.— Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) November 8, 2013
Iran and world powers are working on deal that would see a partial suspension of sanctions against the Islamic Republic for a limited period. In return Tehran would have to prove it had limited its nuclear programme.
The West fears Iran is trying to develop atomic weapons. The Iranian leadership has said producing nuclear energy is its only goal.
The euronews correspondent at the Geneva meeting, Fariba Mavaddat, said: “The growing presence of senior figures has increased the momentum at the talks, and with it the pressure on both sides to reach what could be an historic deal after years of dispute.”
The senior figures include Britain’s Foreign Secretary William Hague, German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.
“We want a deal that bring a solid first response to worries linked to Iran’s nuclear (programme),” Fabius said on arrival in Geneva according to a foreign ministry statement. “There is progress, but nothing is concluded yet.”
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:11 CET Target of nation’s outrage, Ukraine central bank chief ploughs on
- 19:06 CET Libya’s Haftar appointed army chief for recognised government
- 19:00 CET EU seeks to bolster Middle East peace Quartet via Arab involvement
- 18:54 CET Exclusive: Guinea says Ebola patients sent home after botched…
- 18:45 CET North Korea angered by U.S.-South Korea military drills, fires…
- 18:43 CET In U.S. visit, Netanyahu warns an Iran deal could threaten…
- 18:21 CET Ukraine says Russia continues to violate winter gas agreement
- 17:54 CET Outgoing Namibian president wins $5 million Africa leadership prize